Help with Robinson way

Options
Hi all I have a question and could really do with some advice.
3 weeks ago, I started getting two letters every other day from Robinson Way for two different accounts for two different amounts on behalf of O2.
Im an O2 customer and have been so ever since Btcellnet and my bills are always paid on time ano in full. When these letters started coming I called O2 and they have no idea, there has according to them only one account in my name.
Today I get home from work to find a "Doorstep enforcement officer" has dropped a card through my postbox. The amount on this card reads £190.57.
I should point out that the front of my house is actually the back, so my postbox is bolted to my gate which is locked, I have a CCTV camera pointed at the gate and my system recorded this guy trying to force my gate open. The front camera points to the drive and has recorded this person pulling up in an old Volkswagen golf with Irish plates. He took a long hard look at the car which was parked on my drive too.
I have no intention of calling Robinson way, but these letters are upsetting my better half.
I've also received another letter from them Demanding £347 for a great universal catalogue debt from 2002. These have started coming in the past three weeks or so. I lived at my previous address for 15 years, and never had any letters before. So why now?
What can I do about it!
I've received no court orders, paper work or CCJs.
** I cant get off my soapbox as its not wheelchair accessible** :p

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,883 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,
    First off, a "Doorstep enforcement officer" is just a fancy name for a debt collector, who is NOT a Bailiff, and has no more power than next doors cat.
    It could be someone with a similar name to you who they are after, I would respond with the "provit" letter, there is a template in the stickies at the top of this forum.
    Adapt the letter to your needs, inform them that you have been in touch with the original creditor and they say no debt exists.

Its up to them to prove you owe this money, and if you don't, then, they cant prove you do can they.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • steve3123
    Options
    I know they have no legal powers, I'm just wondering why has all this started to happen now, bizarre
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi steve3123

If I were in your shoes I would want to do an up to date check of my credit report just for peace of mind - just to eliminate the possibility that someone has been obtaining credit using your credentials.

Chances are that as sourcrates suggests it may be a case of someone with a similar name being sought, in which case the "prove it" letter should do the job.

Re: the Great Universal debt from 2002, it isn't 100% clear from your post whether that particular account was actually yours. Even if it is, it is likely to be "statute barred" now and thus unenforceable through the courts:

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/25%20EW%20Time%20limits%20for%20recovering%20debts/Default.aspx

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • steve3123
    Options
    The Great Universal debt they are chasing me for was disputed at the time (for an order that never arrived) as as I heard nothing from them since I assumed the account was long since closed, I've heard nothing about this for years
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    steve3123 wrote: »
    The Great Universal debt they are chasing me for was disputed at the time (for an order that never arrived) as as I heard nothing from them since I assumed the account was long since closed, I've heard nothing about this for years

OK, I see. Well in that case, even if that dispute was never fully resolved at the time, the fact that well over six years have lapsed since then without any further action on your part will mean that they cannot sue you for it. You could send them the sample letter from the fact sheet I refer to above - they would need to drop the matter unless they can somehow show that the time limit does not apply here.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure