MoneySaving Poll: Can you haggle on the high street?

Options
Former_MSE_Zorica
Former_MSE_Zorica Posts: 178 Forumite
Stoptober Survivor Xmas Saver!
edited 26 August 2014 at 1:01PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 26 August 2014

Can you haggle on the high street?

Please let us know how you got on, and only vote for shops you've tried to haggle in. Click as many stores as you like.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• pawsies
    pawsies Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Generally I would say no, not in stores that have a head office.
    They would need to ring head office and only then offer a discount if you are buying vast quantities of the product.
  • funkybubbles
    Options
    If there is ever the slightest flaw in anything, damaged packaging, opened items, to the more obvious with parts missing, I would always try and haggle; you have nothing to lose, and nearly every shop I've tried with an even vaguely damaged item, I've had at least 10%, sometimes 50% off. To be honest I rarely try with 'perfect' items, unless they offer free credit and I offer cash, then I do, and again usually succeed.
    If you don't ask, you don't get!
  • littlerat
    littlerat Posts: 1,792 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never known people first hand have luck in supermarkets (bar the clearance gun people if it's lowering time), same in boots etc. I've heard people ask and the sales people never have any authority to give a discount. Managers never seem to when called. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I don't think it's that common. Never heard it from people I trust.

Furniture, PCs and other big items yes.
  • jojojez
    jojojez Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I have tried several times to ask for a discount in Zara for faulty items, skirt missing a button, suede jacket badly marked, but each time it was refused. So, I'm really curious as to how people managed to obtain a discount.
    I managed to get discounts in Cotswolds, and also a suit shop (can't remember the name), I know that if you are spending a fair amount and you offer to pay in cash the sales person can usually give you 10% discount, I used to work in a store (Heals) and this was the normal policy.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We saw a table in a local furniture shop, only one end of range. It was reduced from £400 to £200. It had some scratch marks so we negotiated it down to £100.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Aren't these poll results somewhat flawed as it is rather subjective to each person to determine 'big / small' discount. Would have been far more quantifiable to define something like 'Discount 50% or above / Discount under 50%'
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family