Red Castle Recoveries

Options
My husband has received a 'Notice of Sums in Arrears' from Red Castle Recoveries. We have absolutely no idea who this debt relates to, I've gone through all of our paperwork and can't work it out.

Should I ignore? Should I call them and find out? I've heard they aren't usually too bad to deal with.

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Really if they are saying that you owe them (or their client) money it is their responsibility to explain, not your responsibility to drag it out of them.

What they want you to do is phone them so they can make unrecorded allegations and get information from you. They are a dca. It's what they do. Don't believe otherwise.

If you must contact them (and there's no reason why you should) use the prove-it letter from the sticky at the head of the dfw board.
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sounds like a 'fishing' letter. Personally, I'd file it under 'B' for bin or 'F' for fire depending on your preference. It is always the DCA's responsibility and legal obligation to prove a debt is owed by the alleged debtor, not for the potential debtor to have to run around proving their innocence. If you genuinely owe money to an organisation then they will be able to tell you so, up front. Until they do, I would ignore them as 'unsolicited' advertising. They use a scatter gun approach to try and frighten someone into holding up their hands. It ought to be illegal, but sadly isnt. Until you get some sort of credible businesslike communication on the subject, it is nothing of the sort.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • carol1963_2
    carol1963_2 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya, It's me. Quickquid sell debts onto Red Castle (not sure if that helps but hay ho).
    LBM 10/9/13 £40,571 (SCARY). NOW DECEMBER 2016 £31,805.
    PROUD AND STILL SCARED BUT PLODDING.

SPC 551
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family