Barclays OverDraft Charges

Options
Hi,

I am currently paying £105 overdraft charges each month, and I am struggling to pay this each month. At this rate I'm never going to be out of debt, I feel depressed and down just hate being like this.

Anything i can do to reduce this as it never used to be this high only in the past few months it has gone this high the payment.

Thanks

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    edited 19 December 2014 at 11:37AM
    Options
    Difficult for anyone to advise without more about your situation. You don't say the level of your overdraft, whether you go over the limit during the month, how much of the month you are overdrawn, whether this is your only debt, whether this is an account that charges a monthly fee etc.

However options may include
    - trying to reduce your outgoings/increase income so that you gradually spend less of each month in your overdraft until it is fully paid.
    - seeing if you are able to get a bank account with the same level of overdraft with a different bank whose charges are less
    - seeing if you can get a credit card with 0% on purchases for a long period and then making your day to day spending on that card, so that your income/wages reduce your overdraft
    - seeing you can get a virgin credit card offering money transfers at 0% and transferring to clear off the overdraft and then repay the credit card before the 0% finishes
    - switching to a new bank account without an overdraft and defaulting on the overdraft and then arranging a repayment plan and asking barclays to freeze interest & charges (this would significantly affect your credit file for years)

But obviously these depend on how big the overdraft is, how much you can afford to put towards your debts each month, your credit history, your employment statuts, the rest of your financial circumstances etc
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • seanavfc92
    Options
    Tixy wrote: »
    - switching to a new bank account without an overdraft and defaulting on the overdraft and then arranging a repayment plan and asking barclays to freeze interest & charges (this would significantly affect your credit file for years)

This would definitely be my recommendation.

£105 is a big chunk of anyone's income to pay out every month.

The safest thing to do is simply open an account with a bank to which no money is owed to.

P.S. Loving the username, BTW :beer:
    "No sacrifice, no victory"
    - Transformers (2007)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills