PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I need help with a food processor

Options
Hi
I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask for advice but this board seems to have some very clever people

I want to buy myself a food processor I am willing to spend up to £80 as I want something to last me a while

I don't do much cooking at the moment but I want to be able to do soups / smoothies & move on to some more complicated things later.

I want to get my 5 day day in & hate eating fruit & I am hearing more & more about the nasty things they put in pre packaged foods.

Any advise re makes or what to avoid would be great

This is the first one to catch my eye

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=119442&clickfrom=name

Helen
"what lies behind us & what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If this is your first processor, then it should be OK for what you want it to do. It's actually made by Breville and whilst some of their gadgets are OK, they wouldn't spring to mind for a food processor.

It's also cheap ... hhmmmm I wonder why? Often, it means cheap components, which can fail or wear out. I would be particularly interested in the motor and how long it's guaranteed for.

I also would have a look somewhere other than Argos. Go to somewhere like John Lewis and have a good look at what they've got. Talk to the assistant about the difference in models e.g. is more expensive better? Once you understand the type of thing you need, you can shop around for best price.

I mention this as it can turn out to be a false economy to buy an £80 processor if it only lasts 2 years. That might be OK, if you find you don't actually want/need/use a processor, but if you do, then you've wasted £80 as you'll be looking to replace it. Also, I think it might help for you to understand what different processors do and why some are cheap.

If you simply want "any processor to try out", then yes try this. If there are features you like, remember them - along with the ones you don't like. Then decide if you really want a processor. When this one wears out or breaks, then look for a replacement that actually meets your needs. And if, as I do, you use a processor almost daily, consider investing in a top-notch one like Magimix, KitchenAid. I have this one
    http://www.magimix.com/UK/produit.php?lig_id=1&pro_id=6

Not cheap at £300, but I consider it the best investment I've made. It gets used daily - chopping, slicing, whisking eggs, making puree etc. The motor is guarantee for 12 years and for me, that alone was worth paying the price. Other parts were guaranteed for 3 years (now expired) .. but replacements are easily available. For example, if you regularly chop nuts or other "hard" things, then these can chip the blade over a period of time - but the blade can be replaced. This doesn't have a "jug", but does all the functions a jug would - you just have to pour from the bowl.

Frustratingly, I couldn't find any information on the Breville website about replacing parts, guarantees etc. As I say, for the price, don't expect it to last a lifetime if you regularly use it, but probably fine to give a processor a try to see if you like it.

Your alternative is to look out for second-hand processors .... you can often pick up a Kenwood Chef for less than £80. I had a second hand Kenwood for about 10 years, before I went over to Magimix.

This reply should at least bump the post up, so hopefully you'll get lots more feedback too.

Regards
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dont mean to be funny but do you seriously need a food processor?

Unless you do a lot of cooking from scratch then its really a waste of money and storage space imo. When i said I wanted a stick blender to use for soups, hubby thought he was being thoughtfull and bought me a processor instead and it sits in the cupboard one month till the next taking up space. I only use the liquidiser so a stick blender would have been money better spent. I do cook from scratch as often as I can, but for two of us, a woden spoon, a sharp knife and a chopping board are more convenient and easier then getting out the processor and all the cleaning of it after.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I've only just re-discovered my food processor. I've used it several times since it was given to me by my mother in law about 10 years ago. Its a Kenwood, I suppose its a Kenwood Chef, not sure. Since I started cooking from scratch I've made a shortbread mix in it, blended soups, made breadcrumbs etc and next I plan to make some smoothies with the kids. If you want to save money and cook from scratch then I think its something you will use a lot. It doesnt take much to clean if you bung the bowl in the sink as soon as youve finished with it. If you have a dishwasher its even less trouble.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    we have a kenwood food processor,its the second kenwood machine ive owned as the first was excellent and lasted 10 years.
    Does all sorts,cake mix,chops fruit and veg,has a citrus juicer and a liquidiser.
    It also has a chipping plate so you can cut chips super fast.
    I use it nearly everyday and so does everyone else in the house.
    Its no trouble to wash either.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I would echo everything Debt free Chick has said. My Magimix is used every day and is a joy to use but it was expensive and would be wasted on someone who would keep it in a cupboard most of the time. Also I cook for six so feel it's justified!

That said, a cheap blender is fine for soups and smoothies. A food processor (in my opinion) is worth having for pastry, grating and slicing large quantities and juicing oranges (mine came with the attachment). I use a mixer for cakes, bread and whisking egg whites and cream.

This page here might be useful. The reviews might help you to decide - if you go for a cheaper one you'll still get an idea of what it would be useful for.
  • Penny-Wise_4
    Penny-Wise_4 Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    Food processors are one of those things that people have in their cupboards, never use and then sell on e-bay. If you really want one and don’t think it will just sit in your cupboard then you may be able to get a really good one a bit cheaper.

If you don’t plan to use it that much/don’t know how much you will use one have you thought about a stick blender? I have one with a few different attachments – blender, mini processor & whisks - similar to this one.

This will do smoothies, blends sauces & soups and will have the mini processor bit for chopping and the whisk to whip up the odd cake, etc.

I do use mine every single day. I want to invest in a good quality processor but I know I will use it. Having the blender first showed me that it was a good idea to save up for one and wasn’t a waste of money.
    Your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or other loan secured on it.
  • jordylass
    jordylass Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I saw a food processor in the Aldi catalogue last September for £25 or £29, I'd never had/used one before, or even considered it really, but September is my birthday and I decided to treat myself. I did absolutley no research.

It is a lovely thing, and as I have gotten more organised (https://www.flylady.net) the equipment I want to use regularly is stored appropriatly in the kitchen.

I have used it quite a bit, definately more than I thought I would, pastry, cake mix, soup and chopping/shredding (home made coleslaw mmmm).

It was before I was moneysaving so was an extravagance but a worthwhile one and it was enough to pay to see if I used it, (i didn't imagine you could pay upto £300 for one). I'f i'm only chopping 1 onion I don't get it down, but much more than that and I do, it all goes into the dishwasher.

I don't expect it to last 10 years (although i did get a liquidiser from a boot sale for £1 to mush my babie's food, she's just turned 12 and I've given it away still working).
    There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was lucky enough to win mine, it certainly wouldn't be the one I would have chosen though as it doesn't come with a separate blender, it's supposed to blend in the main bowl but it doesn't do a very good job of it.

I do use it almost every day though, when I do onions I chop a huge amount and freeze them, I use it to make pastry too, I certainly wouldn't be without it. If you cook from scratch as much as I do then it wil be worth it's weight in gold. The family decided they wanted a pudding the other night and between that and the microwave they had a syrup sponge and custard within 10 minutes.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Options
    Penny-Wise wrote:
    If you don’t plan to use it that much/don’t know how much you will use one have you thought about a stick blender? I have one with a few different attachments – blender, mini processor & whisks - similar to this one.

I had a food processor and it gathered more dust than use. I use my stick blender thing a lot more and it saves on washing up! You can just mix/blend the stuff in the bowl it's cooked in instead of transferring it to the food processor.

£80 is a lot of money - stick blenders are only about £10 in Tesco/Asda and really are good value.
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • sellingmysoul666
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - think I will have a look at some kenwood ones
    Helen
    "what lies behind us & what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure