The Great 'biggest financial fear' Hunt Revisited

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 25 March 2014 at 1:15PM in MoneySaving polls
The Great 'biggest financial fear' Hunt Revisited

Money has always been top of many people's worry lists, and even more so in recent years. So whether it's credit card debt, not having enough savings for when you retire or just the day-to-day struggle to live, we want to know what you fear the most when it comes to your finances.

Click reply below to share your tips. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide..

View all past Great Hunts.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'll start the ball rolling - Losing my home is my biggest fear.
    Almost anything smaller (except possibly losing the roof) I can cope with, but I couldn't cope with going into rented at 4 times what I'm paying now.
    Even so, repairs on my home are piling up and I am reluctant to address how these repairs will be funded.

At such times I think it would be nice to live in a 'social housing' house (as does my next-door neighbour) and be able to snap my fingers and get the work done for free.
  • missrlr
    missrlr Posts: 2,192 Forumite
    Options
    Losing my job as the knock on consequences are catastrophic.
    Start info Dec11 :eek:
    H@lifax [STRIKE]£13813.45[/STRIKE] paid Sep14 paid 23 months early :T
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£206400[/STRIKE] :eek: £199750 Mortgage £112500
    B@rclays £[STRIKE]25000[/STRIKE] paid 4 years 5 months early. S@ntander £[STRIKE]9300[/STRIKE] paid 2 years 2 months early
    2013 8lb lost 2014 need to lose 14lb. Lost 4 so far!;)
  • alixandrea
    alixandrea Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Not being able to meet the basic monthly needs of my partner and I - food, shelter, heat, light, water. We could just about cope without anything else, but without any of those things we'd be screwed...

Alixandrea
  • juliamarsh
    juliamarsh Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Running out of money when I retire.
  • runrosyfox
    runrosyfox Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Losing my job, and not being able to pay my mortgage. I've only had it since November, and I'm a relatively young first-time buyer. Having graduated the year Lehman's went under, and having terrible trouble finding permanent work for two or three years after that, I can't shake the fear that the permanency I've now built up found will be taken away.
  • Ashagill
    Ashagill Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never ever ever being able to move out of my parents home. I'm 27, and training to be a British Sign Language interpreter. I predict it'll be at least 2 more years til I can actually make money out of it.

I also fear I'll never be able get to BE an interpreter, and have to take full time soul-crushing work in an office or something that I don't care about, that doesn't make a difference in the world, and serves to make my bosses more money... just so I can move out.
    *sigh*
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." ~ Abraham Lincoln
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Not being able to pay my mortgage & loosing my home.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • CazzieLT
    CazzieLT Posts: 348 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My biggest fear is also losing my job. I have worked hard to get myself out of a huge overdraft left over from Uni, and am fortunate enough to have no outstanding debt beyond a student loan, so I am able to save hard to get on the property ladder, and be able to afford the odd nice treat, but that is only because of my steady income from employment. With the country still floundering around in such a state, I constantly live in fear of losing that precious stability and with it the safe knowledge that I can pay the bills each month.
    Flat Deposit Fund - £30,000 / Fees Fund - £5,000
    Furniture Fund - £3,000 / White Goods Fund - £3,000 / Flooring Fund - £3,000
    Emergency Fund - £6,000
    366 Day Penny Challenge for 2024 - £357.86/£671.61 (Holiday Fund)
    £2 Savers Club for 2024 - £48/£200 (Christmas Fund)
    52 Week Card Challenge for 2024 - £116/£400 (Fun Fund)
  • PlymouthMaid
    PlymouthMaid Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Losing my home/being homeless has always been my biggest fear. My home is falling apart around me as I can't afford to fix things but it is still a comfy home luckily. I worry a lot about having an accident or an illness as my employer only pays a few days of sick pay and I have no idea how people pay mortgages and utility bills on SSP.
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
  • ohit
    ohit Posts: 370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Biggest fear, is losing (and not gaining more) choice and freedom. Money is one of the 3 core foundational resources for choice and freedom.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure