MoneySaving Poll: When your change is just pennies do you bother taking it?

Options
Poll started 11 November 2014

When your change is just pennies do you bother taking it?

There’s an old adage that says: “Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves.” But does it still ring true? Reports suggest many people just leave their change if it’s only pennies.

What do you do?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Always take it and throw it in my jar at home which gets emptied once a year and banked in my savings account.
  • John_Birch
    Options
    We have a large piggy bank at home into which goes all coins valued 5p or less - plus any coins found on the floor around the house. Originally started as a lesson to our children that the pennies DO mount up. First time we emptied it, after a couple of years, we banked £84. Its about half full again now.
  • Aceandstuff
    Options
    :rotfl:I don't believe for a minute that so few would throw it on the floor (outside of this site). At my university, I can come out of the Spar richer than I go in from picking up copper and 10c coins. :cool: I've done this since childhood and been shunned by the spoilt brats who throw their money away. (I live in Ireland, don't you think that they should have figured this sort of thing out a long time ago?)
    Anyway, last year, I traded in my copper coins for around 35Euro. That was just from 3 years of savings, as before, I had dumped them into charity boxes.
  • Terry2013
    Options
    How spooky, I have literally this minute finished counting my pennies jar! I have saved every bit of spare change from my purse throughout the year, and am pleased as punch with £120.. I have chucked in the odd £2 & £1

Skipping to the bank tomorrow.
    Saving for Xmas 2015 #53 £50 / £365 :snow_laug
  • Coveredinbees!!!!
    Options
    People who throw money on the floor are idiots but my kids don't mind when they pick it up and put it in their money boxes.
    Nothing to see here, move along.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I really can't be bothered with pennies and tuppences any more. Those I do get in change end up in one of the charity tins at work. That leaves somebody else the effort of counting them.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Kite_Triblade
    Options
    I always keep the loose change. The 1p and 2p coins I stash in to a large bucket I try and keep the pre 92 ones separate though as copper prices might go up again and if the government disowns the 1 and 2p coins then they can be sold on and melted down.

The 5 and 10p coins I sort in to bags now. I'm using it as a means to save up and buy Persona 5. A video game for the Playstation 3 that will be released next year. I started saving up those coins since this summer and have already got about £17.
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    I am really shocked and appalled at the number of people who would throw their 1p change on the floor! How rude. If you don't want it then say, put it in a charity box or keep it yourself but do not throw it.
    How badly brought up were you all?!
    Do not do this ever again - people in the shops are not paid enough to live on so they should not be made to go around, having to bend down to the floor to pick up your rubbish. Disgusting behaviour.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I put anything under 10p in the charity box that most places have on the counter usually...
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It's my money. I take it. I had a 'Twopennygate' incident on my diary when I had a run-in when I was shortchanged by 2p - still at the till so wasn't as if I'd left the shop. The assistant said 'it's only 2p' to which I replied 'yes, but it's MY 2p' :rotfl:.

Everything under £1 goes into my piggybank which is emptied a few times a year. Excitement building as it's due soon :D. Varies between £15 - £35 depending on how many high denomination coins were left from the last count. Well over £100 a year, goes as a mortgage overpayment and over the years will have knocked a month at least off my end date (which is next year so suddenly it seems a very big difference indeed :T).

I do believe in not sweating the small stuff. But giving away your own money in this way seems silly.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure