Asked my age in an interview ?

Options
Hi guys, just some advice please

I went for a job interview last week and was asked some really odd personal questions:

Who do you live with? Do you have a partner? How old are you?

The first two didn't bother me that much as I suppose the interviewer was just trying to find things out about me, but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have been asked my age.

Is there anything I can do about this? I didn't get the job anyway.

Comments

• bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 July 2014 at 10:44AM
    Options
    Unless the questions were relevant to the role, then you shouldn't be asked them. However, what do you want to do about it? Unless you have sufficient grounds to believe that your answers led to you being unfairly discriminated against in the interview process, chalk it up to a poor interviewer and move on with your life.

If you really feel strongly and it's a big firm, you could write to the HR department with feedback, but aside from that, I can't see what you want to achieve.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    It's not illegal to ask the age but making their decision based on this information would be so employers are advised not to ask. But let's face it, looking at you would have given them a good indication.

You could take them to a tribunal but is it really worth it or is it better to move on?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • 27yearoldmale
    Options
    Common for sales types of roles where the interview wants to see what kind of commitments you have, ie mortgage/rent so they can gage how driving/hungry you are.

In terms of other professions, the interviewer is looking to build a picture of you and your life which is a factor in identifying suitability to the role.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Keep in mind that age discrimination can work both ways - many employers favour older workers who are settled, seen as more reliable etc. I would be asking for feedback but not assuming that age was a key factor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure