NHS Sick Pay

Options
I started with the NHS 6th June 2016. My first period of sickness was in September 2016. At 6th June 2017 I had been sick for just under one month (policy states that in the first year you get one month full pay and 2 months half pay).

However since 6th June 2017 I have had a further 9 days off sick and am still off sick currently with pregnancy related illness.

As I am now into my second year of employment, I am entitled to 2 months full pay, 2 half pay.

What I am confused about is it says "The allowances paid are calculated by deducting paid sickness absences in an aggregate period of the preceding 12 months from the first day of absence".

Can anyone please explain how much entitlement I have as my entitlements seem to overlap as I have entered my second year of employment.

Thank you.

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    No. Because it requires every period of sickness by date. But it's ready to do yourself. Today is 23rd July. It is your second year of service. So you have 2 months full pay and two months half pay.

Go back 12 months, which takes you to 24th July. Were you fit for work that day? If so, then you count the total number of days since that day that you had off sick, and all that counts towards your two months and two days. If you were off sick that day, you need to go backwards to your first day of sickness, and count sickness from that date to discover how much of your allowance is left. So basically, what it is saying is that all the sickness in the last 12 months counts towards the paid leave entitlement. You therefore have very little full pay left.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    You will probably find that sickness absence is calculated on a rolling 12 month period. That being the case, the month you were off sick in September '16 will still be counting to total sickness allowance.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    You will probably find that sickness absence is calculated on a rolling 12 month period. That being the case, the month you were off sick in September '16 will still be counting to total sickness allowance.

That would generally be the case although I can't say for certain with the NHS.

If so then, in effect you need a complete year without any sickness absence to reset the clock to zero.
  • indsty
    indsty Posts: 372 Forumite
    Options
    If I remember correctly, pregnancy related illness is handled separately to "ordinary" sick leave and does not count in the same way.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    indsty wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, pregnancy related illness is handled separately to "ordinary" sick leave and does not count in the same way.
    It does for sick pay. It is managing sickness procedures that it is discounted for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure