Bailiff and 24 hour notice removal urgent !

Options
Hi,

My partner just received a letter from a bailiff for a 24 hour notice removal. They are demanding payment in full or they will remove anything tomorrow.
They are refusing a payment plan !
we are all on benefit as I am disabled and really ill. He is my carer but he has mental health issues.

What should we do ?
BSC number 183

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    What is the debt for?
    council tax? a CCJ? a court fine? something else?

Has the bailiffs visited before? have they previously been in the property? has your partner previously come to any agreement with the bailiff over payments? or previously signed anything from the bailiffs?
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Marktheshark
    Options
    Awfully nice of them to tell you to move your valuables out .
    Are you sure this is a Bailiff ?
    Sounds more like a debt collector sabre rattling.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • fatou256
    fatou256 Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    Options
    yes it is a bailiff from Jacobs enforcement Agents. It is for council tax. As we can't pay in full they be on Friday 5 pm with a removal team .
    they say as he broke a previous engagement then they will proceed with all payment.
    BSC number 183
  • Tixy
    Options
    Did he actually break a previous agreement set up with them?
    Have they been inside the property?
    Does he have a vehicle or other similar assets outside of the property?

I would contact national debtline for some free advice - https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/02%20EW%20Council%20tax%20recovery/Default.aspx
  • fatou256
    Options
    no he hasn't been inside. he was just outside our door. yexz he did break it up.
    BSC number 183
  • fatou256
    Options
    the bailiffs say we didn't but i have made a payment this month . the council is now saying that it was for this years. The council said they should do a attachment of earning.
    The bailiff say they are independent and he added 230 pound enforcement charge.
    BSC number 183
  • fatou256
    edited 24 September 2014 at 4:37PM
    Options
    is it normal that a bailiff removal notice does not contain any name on it ? the bailiff told me also that he can force his way in if we are not there as he will have a warrant ? he didn't set foot inside our house. he was just on our doorstep.
    BSC number 183
  • Tixy
    Options
    Given the situation I would suggest phoning national debtline for advice on this.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi fatou256

Sorry to hear about this situation. I'll offer a couple of basic pointers here, but as Tixy suggests, it is always advisable to get in touch with an advice agency like us directly when you are dealing with bailiffs.

- DO NOT LET THESE BAILIFFS IN. If they've never entered your property before, they won't be able to tomorrow.

- If you have a vehicle, it is best to park it as far away from the property as possible. If it has a blue badge, make sure this is displayed clearly.

- If either of you are considered "vulnerable", the bailiffs are expected to handle matters appropriately and sensitively. Make sure that they and the council are aware of any relevant issues - for example, disability & mental health issues.

Our lines are open until 9pm this evening so please get in touch.

Kind regards

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • fatou256
    edited 24 September 2014 at 6:10PM
    Options
    I ave rang up the national debtline. I am considered vulnerable and the council as well as the bailiff are well aware of this. I am receiving benefit related too which make it obvious that I am not well.
    BSC number 183
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport