Opting out of Serps - can I reclaim?

Hi, I have been contacted by a cold caller who says that if I opted out of Serps I could reclaim ALL that money back. I have had my pension for nearly 25 years. It passed from the civil service over to the compnay I work in now in 1992. He told me that all the contributions to a State Pension from my Natioanl Insurance contributions could be released to me now.

Is this correct? I know nothing about pensions or Serps to be honest. If this is correct, then I assume I can do this myself without the aid of a financial adviser who will undoubtedly take their cut.

Thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,354 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Is there really still claims companies conning people with this? - obviously so.
    I have been contacted by a cold caller who says that if I opted out of Serps I could reclaim ALL that money back.

no you cant. That is complete and utter bull.
    I have had my pension for nearly 25 years. It passed from the civil service over to the compnay I work in now in 1992.

You contracted out with the civil service as it was mandatory. It was also not sold to you. So, on two counts you could not have been mis-sold. You dont say what your current pension is. However, you really cant be mis-sold contracting out on occupational schemes.
    He told me that all the contributions to a State Pension from my Natioanl Insurance contributions could be released to me now.

That is a complete and utter lie. There isnt even a jot of truth in it.
    I know nothing about pensions or Serps to be honest. If this is correct, then I assume I can do this myself without the aid of a financial adviser who will undoubtedly take their cut.

The person that phoned you isnt a financial adviser. They are a scumbag sales rep for a dodgy claims company trying to obtain an upfront payment from you.

Please name the company as there have been a few like this over the years that have done similar cold calling scams and they have been shut down. Unfortunately, not until people paid money to them first. So, naming them will help other people avoid them if they can.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • janjef
    janjef Posts: 24 Forumite
    Ok Thanks for that. I thought it sounded too good to be true. I am afraid I did not catch the Company name as he talked very quickly. Asked me to find out some of my pension details from Work and HMRC and said he would call me back later today. So, if he does, I will find out as much as I can.

I am still on the same pension that was transferred from civil service to company I work in by the way. My company has been topping up the funds to cover the shortfall. By all intents and purposes it is no worse or better than any others I guess. Not being a pension expert I cannot say if this is good or bad reallly. As this was my first 'proper' job way back then I just signed anything at the time so assumed it was the norm, which I am sure it is/was. As time goes on it would be dreadful to think that all that money is lost if the company goes bust or the funds fall short. (Although I gather it is protected if the company goes bust that is).

Makes you wander whether you should opt out of a pension altogether these days.

Shame, I had plans for that money!

:-)
  • dunstonh
    I am still on the same pension that was transferred from civil service to company I work in by the way. My company has been topping up the funds to cover the shortfall. By all intents and purposes it is no worse or better than any others I guess.

That also confirms that it is impossible for you to have been mis-sold. Occupational pensions are either defined benefit (based on years of service) and these are often contracted out or defined contribution and would either be COMPs or CIMPs (Contracted IN/OUT Money Purchase scheme). You dont get a choice. You get what the scheme gives you. You also do not use an adviser so get none of the consumer protection that goes with it.
    As time goes on it would be dreadful to think that all that money is lost if the company goes bust or the funds fall short. (Although I gather it is protected if the company goes bust that is).

No pension funds have failed to date. Some defined benefit schemes have failed but because of those, protection was brought in so its not seen as a concern nowadays.
    Makes you wander whether you should opt out of a pension altogether these days.

You would be daft to. Nothing else comes close to providing anywhere near the same level of benefits that a pension with employer contributions (direct or indirect) gives you.
    Ok Thanks for that. I thought it sounded too good to be true. I am afraid I did not catch the Company name as he talked very quickly. Asked me to find out some of my pension details from Work and HMRC and said he would call me back later today. So, if he does, I will find out as much as I can.

Please do and dont fall for any sales pitch. This person cold calling you will not be qualified or authorised to recommend pensions or provide pension advice. They only authorisation they have is from the MoJ to be a claims company (And some dont even have that). The MoJ authorisation is not indication of standards of knowledge. You could be authorised by the MoJ within weeks if you wanted to be and start making cold calls like this. Despite having no knowledge or understanding.

There is no way you could have been mis-sold. Doesnt matter what they tell you. You had no choice in the matter as the scheme set that and they dont have to give a choice. I have come across scam companies like this before. We had a cold calling woman phone up many people in the past in our area and was telling them the same sort of rubbish.

As it happens, for most people nowadays, contracting out when they did have the choice, will end up the best option. Even going back in time, in 1996 the SIB did a review of contracting out and found that everyone who contracted out up to that point was financially better off. It dropped a bit after 1997 when Labour introduced a stealth tax (by reducing rebates) but still stayed above the 50% mark. The FSA did a review of contracting out about 3 years ago and found on personal schemes where people did have choice, only around 1.5% of the people were potentially mis-sold. So, given that means some of those wouldnt have been, it would be around less than 1%. Thats a very low failure rate. This is why you don't see the genuine claims companies cold calling in this respect. Plus, if you happen to be in that 1% where it has been mis-sold, you dont see the money. Any redress is paid into your pension. However, the scam company then bill you for a percentage of that which you have to find out of your own pocket.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • janjef
    Ok thanks for all the sound advise. This is why I came on here. To check if it was or was not a scam.

JJ
  • janjef
    Hmm, confused. I am. This caller has just rung me back. He did not want anything at the end of it. He said he worked for the Pension Review Company.

He told me that my Nat Ins contributions get paid, the govt them pay a proportion back to my pension fund and this is the safest place for it. I thought he was going to say I was entitled to take these funds out or something. This is what he led me to beleive on the 1st call but perhaps I misunderstood. So, at the end of the day he was not asking me to do anything. Just giving advise.

He did then try to offer me a Life Insurance quote though!!!

JJ
  • dunstonh
    This caller has just rung me back. He did not want anything at the end of it. He said he worked for the Pension Review Company.

If he doesnt want anything then how is he paying for the cold calling and what is he getting out of it? There will be money somewhere.
    He told me that my Nat Ins contributions get paid, the govt them pay a proportion back to my pension fund and this is the safest place for it.
    There is no safest place. Contracting in suffers from legislative risk. Contracting out suffers investment risk. Contracted in benefits (with the Govt) have been reduced 4 times retrospectively and there are current proposals to abolish and wipe out all contracted in benefits. One or the reasons for contracting out was to put it in your hands so the Govt couldnt play with it.

All of that is irrelevant though as you have defined benefit schemes so decisions on contracting in/out dont apply to you.
    He did then try to offer me a Life Insurance quote though!!!

Ahh. Now this makes more sense and indicates a different type of company (and actually a lot worse).

They are not a claims company. They are an FSA authorised firm. There are a couple of these companies doing the rounds at the moment telling people they have been mis-sold. They put in a complaint which inevitably fails. They then have all the pension details to hand and they then tell you that you should transfer the pension. They then keep the commission of up to 8% of the fund value for doing that transfer. That is where they make their money. They try and hook you in on false pretences because making 5-8% of your pension fund value is what they are really interested in.

I suspect that once he realised you only had a defined benefit scheme he backed away from his earlier comments.... and then tried to sell something else (which he would earn on).

Cold calling like this is not allowed. It is a breach of regulation and it is misrepresentation. Given the higher level of regulation and supposed professionalism that should exist, this company is a disgrace. Avoid at all costs. They are the type that give all the good companies a bad name.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you didn't contract out the money would gain you Additional State Pension payments at a level related to your income. This is one of the safer places, though flat-rating and a possible minimum payment may make this pointless if it happens.

Contracting out to a work final salary pension scheme is normal for that type of scheme and these schemes are usually the best value for money in the whole pension world. The government-backed ones are very safe,almost as safe as Additional State Pension. Private ones are a bit less safe but the Pension protection Fund provides at least 90% of the money protection up to something over £20,000 a year of pensions income, though the rules for pensions not being paid are a bit more fiddly. You should read their literature if you want to know more but the basic part is that those who aren't higher rate tax payers are very well protected, while those who are might lose out significantly, depending on just how much pension they have accrued.

Contracting out to a personal or group personal pension, including work personal pensions where you can choose the investments and have those investments tracked by how many you own are less safe. Also called money purchase pensions. Less safe because how much pension you get depends on how well the investments you choose perform. There's no guarantee of how much that income will be. The investments themselves are extremely well protected against fraud and general loss risk, but not at all against investment performance, which is your responsibility to manage.

Since you've been contracted out into a work defined benefit scheme you can't have lost out and can completely ignore what you're being told.

For those in money purchase pensions it's possible to take 25% as a tax free lump sum at any age from 55 onwards. For others it depends on the scheme rules.
  • Now I'm confused ..... my brother just got back £13,000 from claiming back his serps payments!
  • dunstonh
    telboy63 wrote: »
    Now I'm confused ..... my brother just got back £13,000 from claiming back his serps payments!

The success rate on SERPS complaints is about 1.5%. So, someone has to fall in that 1.5%. It has the lowest complaint uphold rate of any financial product.

Most people who contracted out are financially better off. However, some insurers are not checking this first. For example, if your state pension forecast shows you are getting the full state pension and you contracted out then you are better off. If you hadnt contracted out you would get the same state pension but wouldnt have any of that contracted out former protected rights money.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 August 2017 at 10:25AM
    jamesd wrote: »
    If you didn't contract out the money would gain you Additional State Pension payments at a level related to your income.

Didn't the government recently change the rules so that opted out years don't count towards pension entitlement at all? Essentially they have retrospectively increasing the threshold, without giving anyone notice or the ability to reverse their own decisions.
    dunstonh wrote: »
    For example, if your state pension forecast shows you are getting the full state pension and you contracted out then you are better off.

AFAIK most people who contracted out aren't getting full state pensions now, as a contracted out year not only loses you the SERPS top up but also the pensionable year. Before 1988 you couldn't contract out unless you were in a defined benefit pension, but after 1988 you could contract out of SERPS but still be relying on the state pension which you may no longer get.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure