Mobile phone contact

Options
I am 6 months into Sequestration (I’m in Scotland) and am eligible for a phone upgrade on my contact with 3 mobile.
I am terrified to do this incase my bankruptcy comes up and they cancel my contact altogether. I don’t have a house phone and need my mobile for work so would be pretty gutted if they cancelled it.
I’ve never missed a payment despite my bankruptcy.
Has anyone upgraded while bankcrupt?

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there

If the phone provider wanted to cancel your contract (and assuming there is a relevant clause allowing this in the event of insolvency), then they could have done so any time since you entered sequestration - the information will have been available to them. There is no obvious reason to suggest that they would want to lose your custom (and revenue) if they haven't already said as much, and presumably your bankruptcy trustee has no issues with your existing mobile phone expenditure as you haven't said otherwise. I take it the upgrade won't bring about any change in your contract payments?

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • robber2
    robber2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Obvious answer is to keep your head down and dont bother upgrading. Also even if they did change your contract you could simply nip out to the nearest supermarket and pick up a PAYG mobile. OR you could keep your old phone and buy a PAYG SIM only to stick in it.

No need to panic.

:-)

Rob
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    02 let me keep my contract through the whole 6 years of my bankruptcy. I upgraded at least 4 times over the six years with no issues. I still have the contract today.
  • Violet1881
    Options
    I also kept my contract throughout BR and upgraded before discharge.
    I've been around the world and I I I I ..... changed my username :shhh:
  • philnicandevan
    Options
    Most suppliers will not credit check an upgrade.....
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family