PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Oven to Table - suitable to oven cook?

Options
Hello,

I bought a lovely casserole dish yesterday http://www.portmeirion.co.uk/portmeirion-christmas-wish-covered-veg-dish.html and when I looked at the bottom it says oven to table instead of oven safe.

Does anyone know what this means? Can I use it to cook in the oven or is it really just a posh dish to put stuff on the table with?

Also if anyone has anything like the above I'd love to know what you cook in it, if you do as it was quite the impulse buy (only £14.99 and I found it ultra cute!) and I really havent got a clue what to cook in it!

Thank you for any replys in advance.
Nessy x
House Deposit - £0 /£20,000
Weight Loss - .5lbs

Comments

• Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 4 December 2013 at 10:47AM
    Options
    I've got some Noritake oven-to-table dishes & you can cook in them and then place them straight onto the table for serving.

But, perhaps you should check on the packaging or with Portmeirion. If you can use them in the oven, you might also need to know whether there are any restrictions to the max oven temp that can be used.

I haven't opened your link but see that it's vegetable dishes - one of mine is, and I tend to do gratins or things like potatoes dauphinoise or lasagne.
  • agreenmess
    Options
    Perfect, thank you for the reply. Will wing an email there way. Never thought about doing dauphinoise or lasagne in it! Defantly tempted by the dauphinoise yum!
    Nessy x
    Weight Loss - .5lbs
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would assume, on the basis it is not dishwasher safe, that it is not oven safe. If you click on other dishes on the website they say specifically say oven safe and dishwasher safe under product care.

I think the product is intended to serve vegetables at the table, that have been steamed or boiled.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Apollonia
    Options
    agreenmess wrote: »
    Hello,

I bought a lovely casserole dish yesterday http://www.portmeirion.co.uk/portmeirion-christmas-wish-covered-veg-dish.html and when I looked at the bottom it says oven to table instead of oven safe.

Does anyone know what this means? Can I use it to cook in the oven or is it really just a posh dish to put stuff on the table with?

If you scroll to the bottom of the page you linked to, under the heading Customer Services is a link called 'care and use' - it tells you oven temp up to 200C and other info.

Direct link to Care and Use page: http://www.portmeirion.co.uk/care-and-use
  • tarkytarks
    Options
    The website page does specifically say that it's a vegetable dish, so I personally wouldn't use it in the oven to cook something, e.g. a casserole/lasagne/cauliflower cheese. The heat might have an effect on the paint around the outside or something.
  • agreenmess
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replys, I've sent the company an email as it seems I'm going to keep getting conflicting information and before I use it I want to make sure its not going to be an expensive decoration sitting around the house. Once I get a reply I'll put down what it says here :)
    Nessy x
    Weight Loss - .5lbs
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oven-to-table does usually mean you can cook with it in the oven and then put it straight on the table, but I'm a little confused about this particular dish because it's hand wash only which is not what their care and use instructions say.

Where did you get it from at such a bargain price? Could it be that it's seconds so not to the same quality, hence being hand wash only?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • agreenmess
    Options
    Hello all,

Thank you for all the replys, got a reply back this morning, seems I can use it in the oven which is great!!!

peachyprice - I got it in TKMaxx and there isnt even a scratch on it, they had others in the collection so very tempted to go back!

Good Afternoon,

Christmas Wish, all the Cookware can be used in an oven up to 252ºC / 486ºF / UK Gas Mark 9.

Kind regards

Sharon
    Nessy x
    Weight Loss - .5lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts