DBS: Genuine checks or good business??

Options
A company has contacted me to use my free-lance services, but they are requesting a DBS check.
I have no problem whatsoever with having one done. The issue is they won't do it. Now here's the trick: The government will only issue DBS checks to employers, charging GBP 44 for an enhanced one. They WON'T do it for individuals.
There are, however, lots of companies happy to do it for you, charging a whooping GBP 23 more for "administrative services": This is more than 50% of the original price.
There are lots of these companies, so I wonder if this DBS is more a good business for some than a genuine check.
Aside from that: do you know how I can get one at the official price?
Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Disclosure Scotland. Sent from iPhone
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nikiya wrote: »
    A company has contacted me to use my free-lance services, but they are requesting a DBS check.
    I have no problem whatsoever with having one done. The issue is they won't do it. Now here's the trick: The government will only issue DBS checks to employers, charging GBP 44 for an enhanced one. They WON'T do it for individuals.
    There are, however, lots of companies happy to do it for you, charging a whooping GBP 23 more for "administrative services": This is more than 50% of the original price.
    There are lots of these companies, so I wonder if this DBS is more a good business for some than a genuine check.
    Thanks for any advice!

I am surprised it is not more. Just how much in the way of a professional (administrative if you wish) service do you think £23 buys these days? Once you count staff time, overheads, public and professional liability insurance, postage etc I very much doubt if they are making £10 profit.

Try running a business sometime!
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for any advice!

And unless this is a regulated role, then they can't be getting an Enhanced DBS - the basic one does not yet exist in England (it will soon). So the Disclosure Scotland answer is the correct one - you can obtain a basic check, but on the same basis that it is not a full disclosure of convictions, etc.
  • Nikiya
    Nikiya Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They won't accept the Scottish one, which you can request yourself. Sangie, I do not follow.... you say they can't be getting an enhanced one since the basic does not exist? There are two types on offer on the official site. It is just not for individuals.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    They won't accept the Scottish one, which you can request yourself. Sangie, I do not follow.... you say they can't be getting an enhanced one since the basic does not exist? There are two types on offer on the official site. It is just not for individuals.
    There were always supposed to be three types. Basic, standard and enhanced. Currently only Standard and Enhanced exist in England and Wales. Neither can be requested unless the job involved falls into certain categories - because both of these checks disregard the ROA and list all convictions, spent or not. Unless the role is of a specific type, employers are not permitted to know about spent convictions whether they want to or not. It's the law. Hence, unless the role is regulated, only the basic disclosure is generally permitted - and that basic check does not yet exist in England and Wales. You can obtain one from Scotland. But nobody can obtain a Standard or Enhanced check unless they can fulfil the criteria listed in the law as to their right to know. Even with your permission.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They won't accept the Scottish one

Like the bank notes then.

Why not?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've never understood why, as an individual, you can't apply for your own.

OH worked as a photographer (self-employed), and he was asked to do the photos at the local toddler group one year - they didn't ask for DBS, but we thought we could advertise his services at other similar groups and that having a DBS check would be an advantage. Our only options was to go through another company - which 'pretended' that he was their employee. It all seemed really dodgy, when what we were trying to do was prove that everything was above board!!
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Nikiya
    Nikiya Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 June 2017 at 10:05AM
    Options
    I am with you trainlingspouse!! I do not understand why the government does not allow YOU to apply as an individual through the official channels BUT ALLOWS companies to do business doing it on your behalf!! And you do not need to pretend you work for them --although doing so with a company that agrees might mean you pay the original 44 and not the "enhanced" price.
    In your husband's case it was his choice. My case is similar, only that I won't get any work without that check. Unfortunately the type of job I do is in the hands of agencies who outsource and lower fees all the time for all of us. Many do their own checks but this particular one which happens to be recruiting (or so they say) demands you pay for it though a third party, so I don't even have the guarantee that I will recover the GBP68.50 this particular company charges if I go ahead. Mind you --they might even be doing business with them for all I know.
  • Huskydays
    Huskydays Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are, however, lots of companies happy to do it for you, charging a whooping GBP 23 more for "administrative services"
    I'd check the small print on that if I were you. Umbrella bodies operate with the same restrictions so shouldn't be providing DBS checks to individuals either. That being said, if you find a company who will do it, crack on; They'd be the ones bending the DBS Code of Practice, not you. It may be worth the extra admin fee just to get the certificate, then sign on to the update service (£13 a year) and never have to worry about it again.

You haven't said what you do or why the check is needed but I have a few suggestions that haven't come up yet:

- If your role is indeed eligible for a DBS check, there may be professional associations/agencies/membership organisations in your field who may be able to help you get a DBS check so it could be worth reaching out.

- If it's a school or college asking for the check, you can refer them to section 136 of Keeping Children Safe In Education (their statutory guidance) which states: "If a contractor working at a school or college is self-employed, the school or college should consider obtaining the DBS check, as self-employed people are not able to make an application directly to the DBS on their own account."

- Aside from the basic check, you might consider a Subject Access Request to the Police and get a report of all the information held about you on the Police National Computer: https://www.acro.police.uk/subject_access.aspx (£10) It shouldn't be accepted in lieu of a DBS check but can give peace of mind to clients.
    I've never understood why, as an individual, you can't apply for your own.
    The idea is because the DBS check's purpose is to help employers make a safer recruitment decision by verifying the applicant's information, or in some cases revealing new information. The DBS check wouldn't reveal any information not already known to you as an individual so it would be redundant. That's the theory. In practice, as we know this can leave self-employed/sole traders at a massive disadvantage.
    A witty saying proves nothing
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I assume that an individual cannot apply for a DBS check because somebody has to verify identity. I am a DBS verifier for a charity that requires enhanced checks (volunteers come into contact with children regularly). As part of my role, I have to check the identity of volunteers via documents that are listed on the DBS website. I enter the details into the system and the volunteer then enters certain details, either at the same time or at a later time of their choice. As it is a two stage process for documents, and a non-related person has to verify them, I would think that is why an individual cannot do their own checks. When my latest check was due earlier this year, my daughter was unable to carry it out even though she is also a DBS verifier, because she is related to me. It is part of the safeguarding process.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure