Blood Pressure conundrum

Options
I have high blood pressure - determined after wearing a 24 hour monitor cuff - peaking at 235 / 120 .... !!

I decided to buy a blood pressure monitor and paid £75 for an OMRON M6 Comfort from Boots - working on the assumption that "you get what you pay for".

The first test - showed me as 150/90
Today it is just 140/95

I am on tablets for my high blood pressure - but can I really expect such an incredible drop in just 2 weeks - or is one of the monitors not working properly ?

Comments

• viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Go to your Doctors and have you blood pressure taken again
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • colesy
    colesy Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The tablets take a few weeks to kick in but the drop can be quite dramatic - some people are more sensitive to the effects of the tablets than others. It's worth taking readings twice a day, writing down the results and taking them to the doctor at your next BP review so that they can adjust the dose up or down as necessary.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As far as I'm aware your blood pressure can fluctuate quite significantly due to all sorts of things. From how long ago you have eaten/drank, if you have a full bladder, if you move or talk during the reading and any number of other reasons. Laughing sends it soaring :rotfl:

I always try to emulate the same conditions when I check mine, sit quietly for at least 10mins, not recently eaten etc. Also make sure the cuff is correctly positioned and set up the same way each time.

When having it done by the nurse I always read higher on the first test (especially if she mentions I am having blood taken :eek:) so she re-does it and it is then ok.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I have high blood pressure - determined after wearing a 24 hour monitor cuff - peaking at 235 / 120 .... !!

The first test - showed me as 150/90
    Today it is just 140/95

As you would have seen from the 24 hour monitoring - blood pressure varies throughout the day and night.

Your blood pressure "today" isn't 140/95 - it was 140/95 when you took it. It might be higher or lower if you took it again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure