PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing Sliced (cooked) Meat

Options
Ok, long store short, I bought a large (2.5kg) gammon joint on yellow sticker yesterday, this time ive portioned it and used to for soup, roasted some and made some pies with some (also yellow label) chicken and frozen them.

I was thinking though, if I rtoasted and sliced it, could I freeze the slices and defrost them overnight to eat as normal the next day (parsley sauce, veggies etc) if so, what would be the best way to freeze them without using loads of plastic bags and without them sticking together so I can just take out what I need?

Edit: This questyion would also extend to other roasted/cooked meats such as beef and chicken etc.

Comments

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use baking parchment, did exactly that just before Xmas, huge joint of Gammon, finely sliced, portioned up and wrapped in baking paper, laid flat in the freezer, taken out as needed, defrost in fridge overnight - Yum
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • pmartin86
    pmartin86 Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    fair enough, it doesnt stick to the pachment then? That's basiocly my main concern, Ive tried using a few things in the past (foila nd clingfilm) and both seem to just stick to whatever I freeze.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I've used clingfilm on the leftover Xmas roast pork - 2 slices together then clingfilmed and repeat. Put in a freezer bag.
    The clingfilm hasn't stuck to anything it shouldn't.
    I've done this for years.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    I use baking parchment, did exactly that just before Xmas, huge joint of Gammon, finely sliced, portioned up and wrapped in baking paper, laid flat in the freezer, taken out as needed, defrost in fridge overnight - Yum
    Hi

We do exactly the same ... slow roast a couple of smoked gammon/ham joints at a time with honey, mustard, cloves etc. then leave cooked in the fridge for a few days before slicing up & packing into bags for freezing, interleaving some greaseproof paper between each usable portion (~4/6 slices depending on size) ... it's always better than the deli-counter & as you say, yum!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have always done this with large roast joints of meat - I think that you get more flavour with a large joint.
    I roast the joint, let it get cold and slice. Then I parcel the number of slices I will need for one meal and wrap in kitchen foil, if there is dripping I put a dab of that in the parcel as well, it keeps the meat beautifully moist when being re-heated. Then a foil parcel just has to be popped into a hot oven for 20 minutes.

I also open freeze lightly roast potatoes, tip them into a bag or box to keep in the freezer.
    Yorkshire puddings get the same treatment.

With a few vegetables I can produce a full roast dinner in less than half an hour.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills