Customs duty charges information on International prizes

Options
I thought I'd share HMRC's reply to my email querying the postal fees, Customs charges and VAT you may incur when importing a competition prize, or indeed any item, from a non-EU country into the UK for your personal use.
The Customs charges applicable to the importation of any goods, whether new or used, would be customs duty at the appropriate % duty rate plus VAT at the standard rate of 20% or zero rated whichever is applicable.

Customs duty becomes payable if the goods are over £135 in value and is usually charged as a percentage of the value of the goods. The amount of customs duty charged will depend on the type of goods and their country of origin. Duty is charged on the price paid for the goods including any local sales taxes plus postage, packing and insurance costs.

Import VAT is charged at the same rate that applies to similar goods sold in the UK and applies to commercial goods over £15 in value. The value of the goods for import VAT is based on the:

- basic value of goods, plus
- postage, packing and insurance, plus
- any import (Customs or Excise) duties charged.

If the value of the goods exceeds the relief limits, you must pay duty and/or tax on the full value, not just the value above the allowance.

To enable you to determine the rate of import duty for each item they must be given a commodity code based on the description of the goods. The commodity code for imports is a ten-digit number, which equates to the description of the item. Every item will have a code number - however diverse or obscure.

To obtain a commodity code to identify the duty rate for any item the Tariff Classification Helpline will give you this code based on your description of the goods. Their email address is classification.enquiries@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk and opening hours 1pm to 5pm Monday – Thursday, 1pm to 4.30pm on Fridays. The duty rate and any restrictions and prohibitions can then be obtained from the National Helpline 0300 200 3700.

A free online version of volume 2 of the UK Trade Tariff, which contains the commodity codes and lists the duty rates including any reduced tariffs, can be viewed at https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff.

Further information can be found in Notice 143 ‘A Guide for International Post Users’, which can be found on the https://www.gov.uk website by typing in the Search box – Notice 143, Section 3 (Charges), or using the link below.

Notice 143
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users
This notice explains what happens when you import or export goods by post through Royal Mail or Parcelforce Worldwide.

If the goods are sent by one of the international courier services, such as DHL or FedEx, they will clear your goods for you, deliver the goods to your door and bill you for the customs charges plus their clearance fee.

Comments

• Zanzib
    Zanzib Posts: 5,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Basically anything over £135 is going to cost you so much that it probably isn't worth it.
  • badgerbge
    Options
    I just received a shock VAT Bill/Invoice from DHL that they insist I must pay. We received the following items to our home in the UK: Intax Mini 8 Camera, some film for the camera and some very small photo frames as a gift from a friend in China for our son, they were bought online at a US shop Urban Outfitters. The total value, depending on which bill or invoice you look at is £80.58 or $80.58 but at the time of delivery there was no mention of a future VAT bill to be paid. How is it possible that we can be bill later with out our knowledge? We would more than likely have refused delivery, but being delivered early in the morning and the fact my wife orders a lot of stuff online, we rarely check and really why should we ! The cow at DHL Holly insisted that we were liable for the VAT, even though I explained that it was a gift from a friend. Her attitude was so bad, so rude, no matter how I tried to get her to understand, she said we have to pay. Is this really the case ? Surely the delivery person must present the items with the bill, no ? Also why has the online shop not informed the purchaser that the person who will receive the gift will be forced to pay ? I am really lost for words, its not like we actually can afford it, £26 VAT+Reimbursement Fee, for a camera worth £50 seems totally out of order. We are stone cold broke and can't pay. DHL seems to have no interest in helping solve this, just harassing us for payment. Any help advice greatly appreciated.
    Badger
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    badgerbge wrote: »
    I just received a shock VAT Bill/Invoice from DHL that they insist I must pay. We received the following items to our home in the UK: Intax Mini 8 Camera, some film for the camera and some very small photo frames as a gift from a friend in China for our son, they were bought online at a US shop Urban Outfitters. The total value, depending on which bill or invoice you look at is £80.58 or $80.58 but at the time of delivery there was no mention of a future VAT bill to be paid. How is it possible that we can be bill later with out our knowledge? We would more than likely have refused delivery, but being delivered early in the morning and the fact my wife orders a lot of stuff online, we rarely check and really why should we ! The cow at DHL Holly insisted that we were liable for the VAT, even though I explained that it was a gift from a friend. Her attitude was so bad, so rude, no matter how I tried to get her to understand, she said we have to pay. Is this really the case ? Surely the delivery person must present the items with the bill, no ? Also why has the online shop not informed the purchaser that the person who will receive the gift will be forced to pay ? I am really lost for words, its not like we actually can afford it, £26 VAT+Reimbursement Fee, for a camera worth £50 seems totally out of order. We are stone cold broke and can't pay. DHL seems to have no interest in helping solve this, just harassing us for payment. Any help advice greatly appreciated.
    Badger

Yes you have to pay the VAT. Having a go at the poor girl from DHL who is doing her job isn't going to change the situation. According to the DHL website, the gift allowance is £34 so you are over that.

The Urban Outfitters USA website says express delivery includes taxes and charges, but standard and ecomomy doesn't. It appears either your friend didn't see this, or they did and thought you could pay it anyway. If your friend did pay for express delivery, they need to get in touch with Urban Outfitters to dispute this.

If the items were £80, then the VAT will be about £16 and the remainder will be any charge DHL make for doing this work on your behalf.

There isn't much you can do about it. You are obliged to pay it. If you are broke, maybe ask your friend if they can pay the charges for you that they unknowingly incurred?
  • badgerbge
    Options
    Hi,

thanks for the response, seems weird that you can get hit with a bill long after, why are we not given the bill for VAT when it is delivered. If it was given then we would have for sure sent it back, as we had no prior knowledge (my wife's friend didn't tell us that she sent something).

As you mentioned this:
    If your friend did pay for express delivery, they need to get in touch with Urban Outfitters to dispute this.

What does paying extra for express delivery mean in this case, I don't see the connection.

As for the poor girl at DHL, if you see the way she handled it you would not say poor girl. I queried the VAT Bill with DHL because it only said VAT for one FRAME £16.11 for value of £80.58, so I asked could she be more clear as we never ordered any Frame online for £80.58 and we checked our credit cards ! Very easy to do as we have had them frozen due to inability to pay for months now. So all the time she replies you have to pay. I said but we can't pay for something we didn't order, thats stupid. She kept on saying we did order it. So naturally the tension gets higher. I demand to see the proof of delivery, she sends it and it is not our signature, but again she says we still have to pay. I said how can a frame cost £80 and we can prove we didn't buy it, she sends a commercial invoice (scanned) and it is so poor quality a scan that we can't read a thing except the total amount which is $80.58, so I say hey, that says $80.58 not £80.58, she ignores this and again demands payment. I say why if you can't even tell us what is on the invoice. She replies by writing the 5 items in the body of the email. Now we see that it is for the camera and a film and a very small (the smallest) photo frame !!! Poor just doing her job??? Really? ???? At this point we should have denied receiving it, as in reality those who lie and cheat seem to get everything. But no stupid honest Joe that I am, I say ok, yes we received the camera, it was a gift, guess what the poor girl said... YUP YOU HAVE TO PAY !!! FCUK DHL !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure