2»

Comments

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Hi Bob,

All of the above, I'm afraid. If the number begins 084 or 087 you could always try https://www.saynoto0870.com for a landline number for future reference otherwise, it might be time to think about changing your call package/provider.

You could try appealing to BT (good luck with that!) and say the charge was not clear and could they, please, just this once waive the charges but, unless you get someone in an exceptionally good mood, it will be a case of you dialled the number, you owe for the calls, I'm afraid. HTH and it pays to be vigilant. Worthy.

As above. It was a 0207 number. Thank you. I'm going to check what plan we have then swing into action.

I wanted to check if anyone else had experienced this problem before as it's always useful to know.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Bobarella
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Our council, East Riding Of Yorkshire, has a "contact the leader" facility.

You submit your query from the council website, it gets passed to the right dept, then you get a written response within 7 days.

Used it a few times, always got back to me, and always satisfied with the reply.

I know that not all councils are not so pro-active though.

Sadly we had 1 day to submit an amendment to a licence or possibly lose a days trade. Hence the rush to connect. Utterly frustrating that departments can just block contact from the people paying for their job to exist.

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Strange. If there is a connection charge to this number, it should really be publicised on the council's website. I was under the impression public bodies had been forced to abandon 084/087 numbers because people should not have to pay more than landline rates to contact them so, if it is a connection charge, sneaky, methinks.

The only other thing I can think of is that, for all it is an 0207 number, it is virtual, not geographic. You can "point" any number at any other number in theory, at least; it does not have to look like a non-geographic number to be one, IYSWIM. 0203, for instance, is not an STD code but appears at regular intervals; it is non-geographic and will be pointed at a real landline number. It is a way for businesses (especially online ones) to appear to have some swanky address in central London when they are actually trading out of a shed at the bottom of a garden in Wigan (nothing against Wigan)
    HTH.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Strange. If there is a connection charge to this number, it should really be publicised on the council's website. I was under the impression public bodies had been forced to abandon 084/087 numbers because people should not have to pay more than landline rates to contact them so, if it is a connection charge, sneaky, methinks.

The only other thing I can think of is that, for all it is an 0207 number, it is virtual, not geographic. You can "point" any number at any other number in theory, at least; it does not have to look like a non-geographic number to be one, IYSWIM. 0203, for instance, is not an STD code but appears at regular intervals; it is non-geographic and will be pointed at a real landline number. It is a way for businesses (especially online ones) to appear to have some swanky address in central London when they are actually trading out of a shed at the bottom of a garden in Wigan (nothing against Wigan)
    HTH.

Numbers that start with the 020 area code, including ‘0207’ numbers, are for London and the surrounding area.

There is no technical or official difference between London phone numbers that start 020 7 and those which start with 020 3 or 020 8 - all are available to business and personal customers anywhere in London.

Which area of London are numbers starting 020 7 for?

All 020 numbers are available for use in all areas of London.

Although there were separate area codes for inner and outer London between 1990 and 2000, the distinction was scrapped with the introduction of the single London-wide area code of 020. Any 020 number can be used in any part of London.

As is the case with all landline numbers, 020 numbers can also be used to forward calls to other parts of the country, to international destinations, or to virtual services such as VOIP phones.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Bobarella
    Options
    Smodlet and Poppasmurf at the time of dialling I believed I was calling the London Borough of Lewisham. I have checked my call plan and had unlimited weekend calls. But not week day. Fair enough but I would not expect to pay 30p for a call lasting seconds. Not to a landline.
    Anyway. I have now put in a complaint with BT and the automatic message says they'll respond within 7 days.
    Thank you both again for your replies.

• poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Smodlet and Poppasmurf at the time of dialling I believed I was calling the London Borough of Lewisham. I have checked my call plan and had unlimited weekend calls. But not week day. Fair enough but I would not expect to pay 30p for a call lasting seconds. Not to a landline.
    Anyway. I have now put in a complaint with BT and the automatic message says they'll respond within 7 days.
    Thank you both again for your replies.

Looking at the BT Price List kindly supplied by DUTR, the price for a call lasting just one second would be 30p - a 19p setup fee plus 11p per minute (or part thereof). That's where your 30p for each call comes from.

Considering I can remember in 1971 when a local call via BT cost two and a half pence in old money per minute once connected (rounded up on Decimalization to 1p per minute) that's one hell of an increase. At that time I was earning £2k a year as a reporter on a local newspaper, I'd have to be earning £60k a year now to keep the same ratio.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 September 2016 at 10:56PM
    Options
    If you are making more than about ten to fifteen minutes of weekday calls per week (to numbers starting 01, 02 or 03), paying £8.50 per month for unlimited calls will work out cheaper than paying 19p per call plus 11p per minute.

What you spent on these abortive short calls could have paid for an anytime callplan with an unlimited number of calls (to 01, 02 and 03 numbers, as long as each call is less than 60 minutes long) for more than two months.

In the not too distant future this deal is likely to also include some calls to mobile numbers. BT is conspicuous in being the only major landline provider to NOT offer inclusive calls to mobile numbers. This can't last for much longer.

See also:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5528968
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family