Borrowing money against house

Options
I would like to borrow money against my house but unsure what is the bet way to do this.

My parents gifted me money to buy my house, and together with my savings, I bought without a mortgage. Now my situation has changed, and I would like to raise money (40,000-60000) to give to them.

What would be the best way to do this? Taking out a mortgage? A guaranteed loan? (I'm 45)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your repayment period would be key to making that decision - as well, of course, as your credit history.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I guess from your post it's your parents situation that has changed - Bully for you in wanting to help out.

Before you do anything look at all the options of their situation - If they have hit really hard times, dropping a large amout of cash in their laps could do more harm than good as it will deny them many state benifits they could otherwise claim
  • AL1973
    Options
    Thanks you both for your advice

zx81 - my credit history is good, and I would prefer a longer paying off period
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Then it looks as if a mortgage may be the better option.

However, 40k is around the minimum level for a mortgage, so you may need to do some checking around before choosing a lender.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DO your parents need the full amount immediately or is this needed over a number of years?

The reason I ask is that it might be better to go for an unsecured loan which you can start paying off and maybe look at additional borrowing later on. The advice is normally to avoid secured borrowing where possible.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • ricky_v
    ricky_v Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The reason I ask is that it might be better to go for an unsecured loan which you can start paying off and maybe look at additional borrowing later on. The advice is normally to avoid secured borrowing where possible.

If the OP is sure that they can more than afford the repayments then a mortgage would be better for the lower interest rate. If the OP is living beyond their means wanting to consolidate a load of unsecured debt into a mortgage then that is certainly a bad idea.

A £60,000 loan assuming the property is worth more and £100,000 is from 1.49% fixed for 2 years to 2.49% fixed for 10 years. Taking unsecured loans now and into the future will certainly cost more, but ofcourse the Op's house is at risk if the s*** hits the fan in terms of his/her finances.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure