Advice needed - cash car allowance

Options
Hi - I'm new to this forum but have a question about cash car allowance. I'm starting a new job in August and have been offered the following:

£60,000 basic
£5,833 cash car allowance
11% employer pension contribution (5% from me)

I'm trying to work out how much car allowance I'll take home monthly after tax...as I'm thinking of leasing a car. Question is - does the cash allowance get taxed in the same way as basic? Are there any other factors I need to consider?

Thanks.

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Glass half empty
    Car allowance is just a way of giving you your salary without you being entitled to any pension on that part of your income (for most companies)

Glass half full
    Car allowance gives you flexibility over and above being given a company car.

On that basic salary you will pay 40% tax on all of the car allowance (plus national insurance but probably just 2% NI).

That all assumes you aren't making significant private pension contributions and also doesn't take account any child benefit charge complications from that level of salary and company pension.
  • josimar21
    Options
    OK, thanks. So I only get pension contribution on my basic but, apart from that, the car allowance gets dealt the same way as the basic in terms of tax.

So to work out my monthly take home (for the car) I'm looking at 42% of £5833? Which by my reckoning is £2450. Then £5833 - £2450 = £3370. And £3370 / 12 = £280.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You also need to know the claimable expenses for the business miles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure