Help - where do I go

Options
I'm lovely people - I'm screwed and need serious help.

I've been on a DMP with step change for about 4 years - they have been great but I stupidly got more credit due to a change in circumstances and now I'm sinking again. It's my understanding that step change will stop dealing with me if I tell them so I guess my only option is to look for another DMP elsewhere and stick with it. Can anyone recommend someone. I feel like a complete idiot for doing this to myself again and need to sort this. I have to pay more than I earn everyone month so the borrowing is now spiralling and I need to start again. Please help

Comments

• That was supposed to say hi lovely people. Right now I definately don't feel lovely - I feel like an idiot!
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    Speak to Stepchange ASAP.

If you're open an honest with them, they'll help.

A DMP is an informal solution, there aren't many rules that can't be broken as long as you are willing to sort it out afterwards. Even if that means cancelling the current DMP and starting again, they will not turn you away.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Thank you for your advice, I have sent them a message as it's easier to explain in detail where it all went wrong. Fingers crossed for a quick and positive reply.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your advice, I have sent them a message as it's easier to explain in detail where it all went wrong. Fingers crossed for a quick and positive reply.

Good luck.

If you need any help here, just ask. There's plenty of people around with experiences of the DMP process who can assist.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Also get yourself sitting down and go back over your budget again - it may be that your spending has crept up in some areas without you noticing it and there will be savings ans cutbacks you can make. You may have to revisit the DMP and get Stepchange to renegotiate if your circumstances have changed in regard to income though - it's important that your budget balances in favour of more coming in than going out, and if in spite of making whatever savings you can, ends still don;t meet, then you'll have to face that the DMP might not be right for you, at least in its current form.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Happierdays
    Options
    Good luck. .. you will get there.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    You've had some great advice. I dont think Step Change will turn you away if you explain the circumstances.

I hope you get something sorted out soon :)
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm lovely people - I'm screwed and need serious help.

I've been on a DMP with step change for about 4 years - they have been great but I stupidly got more credit due to a change in circumstances and now I'm sinking again. It's my understanding that step change will stop dealing with me if I tell them so I guess my only option is to look for another DMP elsewhere and stick with it. Can anyone recommend someone. I feel like a complete idiot for doing this to myself again and need to sort this. I have to pay more than I earn everyone month so the borrowing is now spiralling and I need to start again. Please help
    I saw your second post and I am perfectly sure you are lovely. Everyone in here is it is obligatory :-) I think rather than a new DMP you need to review what is not working with the first one. Where are you spending more than you thought you would for example.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure