Possibly wanting self employment as a lettings agent/Property assistant

Options
Hi,

I have been thinking for a while now to possibly instead of working for a company as a lettings negotiator/admin assistant to start doing this by myself as a self employed person.

Obviously I understand I would need to built up a database of clients etc. which I would do before starting. I know to do sales negotiator this is a possibility however I have not heard of many self employed people who would work more on lettings side. I tried googling in case there would be any links or research I could possibly read, however could not find any.

Does anyone know whether this would be a possibility? I understand the major thing would be building my own client base, advertising for tenants in order to shift things.

I would like to work directly with landlords themselves, instead of going through another company/estate agency as I would like to start working for myself and build up more relationships and career which can last. My main focus would be to let properties to fully referenced tenants and to offer landlords advice/PA assistance on property management.

If anyone has any experience in this or has a similiar type of a situation with a different job role but involving the same issues I would really appreciate any information/suggestions. I have already some experience working as self employed as well as I do few odd hours when I have time so this is not a big issue.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    mimiduck wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been thinking for a while now to possibly instead of working for a company as a lettings negotiator/admin assistant to start doing this by myself as a self employed person. - So start your own business?

Obviously I understand I would need to built up a database of clients etc. which I would do before starting. - and register with the ombudsman. I know to do sales negotiator this is a possibility however I have not heard of many self employed people who would work more on lettings side. - because lettings are very rarely negotiated. I tried googling in case there would be any links or research I could possibly read, however could not find any.

Does anyone know whether this would be a possibility? I understand the major thing would be building my own client base, advertising for tenants in order to shift things. - Having an office, paying business rates, insurance, advertising costs etc.

I would like to work directly with landlords themselves, instead of going through another company/estate agency as I would like to start working for myself and build up more relationships and career which can last. - why would a LL choose you? What's your USP? My main focus would be to let properties to fully referenced tenants - what's fully referenced when it's at home? and to offer landlords advice/PA assistance on property management.

If anyone has any experience in this or has a similiar type of a situation with a different job role but involving the same issues I would really appreciate any information/suggestions. I have already some experience working as self employed as well as I do few odd hours when I have time so this is not a big issue.

What's your start-up capital?
  • Annie35
    Annie35 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    yes its possible, estate agency isnt regulated so you can just do it. There is an association ARLA who do training & guidance, insurance info etc but you dont have to sign up to the ombudsman ((depends on if your clients expect it), id guess only high street clients will expect it). Lots of such agents work off gumtree!

I knew a lady who was a self employed letting agent, she had quite a niche business as aside from the usual finding tenants her role really was to collect rent weekly, i guess the properties were such tenants needed a 'personal touch' as it were. She loved it, lots of free time etc. She never had an office, never advertised, worked by networking alone.

Another area is managing HMO's or private student houses, thats something you could do as an independent, again no office needed. Builders who keep their properties but arent that hot on letting knowledge & struggle looking after 10's & 10's of properties as they just enjoy the building bit. You could concentrate on 'accidental' LL's or you could find a gap by doing adhoc problem solving rather then a monthly retainer after tenant find. You could target LL's currently mixed up in repo disputes & solve all their problems & gain a new client..All niche areas that dont need a high street office.

It's all doable, but the key ingredient will be you having more of a clue then the landlord, do you have any knowledge on being a letting agent/landlord?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure