Legacy_user
Legacy_user Posts: 0 Newbie
Delete - No longer need advice

Comments

• patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No, I think it's more of a case of 'Hi,where's Amay today?'. 'Oh, she left to work at x.'.

It would be no different to someone asking me where a particular person was and me telling them they had left and were nowing working at company x.

If your former colleage had had to search for your new work details on a computer and that was not within their job remitt, then rhey would be in breach of data protection legislation.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did he want an appointment, does he feel he can be open with you and so would like his appointment at your office?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    Options
    Amy13 wrote: »
    Mmm,

When a heroin addict comes into your new place of work 'just to see you' and for no business related reason, makes me feel slightly worried.

Why? Has he given any reason for you to think he's a threat to you?

Put your hands up.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Normally I would agree that this was just general 'chit chat' but because of the particular circumstances I would be inclined to write/telephone/email the manager (pharmacist/whoever) and say that you would be grateful if your new place of work was not disclosed to any 'patients' as one of them has been told where you now work and this has caused an embarrassing situation (or words to that effect)

As regards dealing with this person, you need to speak to your current manager and get someone else to deal with them when/if they come in to your place of work. If this escalates to anything unpleasant then I am sure your place of work has safeguards in place to deal with unwanted attention from customers.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    An unpleasant and uncomfortable situation to say the least, but not in breach of data protection / privacy laws. It was a response to a simple question, and one which any colleague may have given without thinking.
    If he continues to turn up at your place of work without reason it may be necessary to speak to the police about him stalking you. Whether or not they could do anything about activity at the current level I don't know.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Options
    Is there CCTV in all the areas accessible to the public in your place of work, OP? If so, are there signs displayed stating this fact? If he comes in again, perhaps you could stand next to one of the signs and keep glancing at it.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no such thing as crime prevention any more as far as the police are concerned. Unless there is a security guard where you work, I think you will just have to hope for the best and follow the suggestions to raise this issue with management as a possible concern. It could be this methodone customer is merely lonely and intends you no harm whatsoever. Let us hope so.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    Amy13 wrote: »
    Hey, I'm looking for some advice about a situation.

I worked for a well known pharmacy company and transferred to their sister optician company, working in a different store. I previously worked in the pharmacy and we had a number of Methadone patients coming in each day and one of them took a liking to me. I didn't tell any patients that I was leaving . One of my former colleagues (I don't know which one) has told this particular Methadone patient where I am now working and he came into my work today and he said that they told him where I worked.

I feel this a breach of data protection/privacy.

What action can I take?
    Presumably you are front of house? So in effect anyone walking down the street can see you.

There is no DPA issue here, it's like anything else. You need to be responsible to some degree for your own safety.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure