Housing Associaton Rights

My mom has been living in a 3 bedroom housing association house since 1980 when the three children were at home. Now that us three have left the home, my mom and stepdad have been living in the house alone for the past 10 years.

They have recently received a letter asking them to hand the house back as they want to place a family in the house.

What rights does my mom have? As she has lived in the house for 30+ years i would have thought she would have some?

Thanks

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Asking or telling? What type of tenancy agreement do they have and have they read it carefully? Are they willing to swap to a smaller place? http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/renting_and_leasehold/housing_association_tenancies
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    mitch1875 wrote: »
    My mom has been living in a 3 bedroom housing association house since 1980 when the three children were at home. Now that us three have left the home, my mom and stepdad have been living in the house alone for the past 10 years.

They have recently received a letter asking them to hand the house back as they want to place a family in the house.

What rights does my mom have? As she has lived in the house for 30+ years i would have thought she would have some?

Thanks
    Dear Mitch1875
    It all depends on the tenancy agreement that your mother has -you need to read it carefully.
    If she has a traditional council house tenancy (a secure tenancy) then she can only be required to leave under certain grounds that include arrears, anti social behaviour, criminality etc. But note that the government are talking about removing the right to keep a council house for life.
    More likely is that your mother has less security than that, but you will have to check the TA. If it looks like they have some grounds to require her to leave then she should get expert advice. Perhaps she can visit her local CAB (www.citizensadvice.org.uk)
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • On another tangent, can they buy the property?
  • Have they offered to downsize them? Where are am there are only 4 HA homes, all 3 bed. Two have families in, one is being sold off and the other they keep offering to move into a bungalow in nearest town, with all removal costs and a cash settlement (1k per room i think). She turns them down flat. Maybe they will rehome them somewhere smaller? Either way hope its sorted for them x
    The feeling i got when i confirmed my place studying criminology at Exeter Uni was brilliant!!!!!

The pride my children told me they had in me was even better!!!!! # setting positive example to children is OUTSTANDING!!!! !:grouphug::grouphug::smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea
  • squinty
    squinty Posts: 573 Forumite
    Many councils and housing associations are currently contacting tenants who will have their HB cut once the bedroom tax is introduced. This is to tell them about the change, and the implications (my understanding from your explanation is that your mum would need to pay 25% of the rent as she is underoccupying by 2 bedrooms)

Are your sure the letter sent to mum is actually asking her to hand the keys back, or it informing her of this change?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure