Bespoke Wedding Ring

Hi,

I've agreed a price with my jeweller in Hatton Garden. Only thing is, he's asked us to pay in cash rather than card, as this way he can provide a little more discount for us.

I found them at the National Wedding Show in London last year, which makes me think that they are legit. I've been to their offices to discuss things with them too.

He's asked that I pay a deposit (50%) and then the remainder on collection.

Should I be worried about paying in cash? It'll be £495.

Mortgage free date: Jul 2023.

Comments

• foxtrotoscar_2
    foxtrotoscar_2 Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Paying by credit card would give you more protection. If things go pear shaped for some reason i.e. if by some chance the ring breaks/cracks or is faulty and the jeweller fails to fix it or has gone out of business you could approach the credit card company for a remedy as they are jointly liable.
  • Paying by credit card would give you more protection. If things go pear shaped for some reason i.e. if by some chance the ring breaks/cracks or is faulty and the jeweller fails to fix it or has gone out of business you could approach the credit card company for a remedy as they are jointly liable.

I am really liking this suggestion . I liked the idea a lot, I am sure many will follow you on this suggestion now.
  • Depends how much you trust them but I don't see it being a problem. I paid in cash and an equivalent ring in the stores would have cost more that twice the amount.

Does the jeweler in question have a store?
  • dipsy
    dipsy Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    ask for a certified certificate for the value of the ring and then if it breaks you are covered by your house insurance, assuming it is below the threshold for items that have to be listed individually. If it is over then you can add to the insurance, shouldn't cost too much I think mine was about £3 PM

However, are you near their offices? have you checked them out online/company house etc?

I for one, wouldn't pay cash unless it was someone I knew, what kind of discount are you getting tempted by?
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
    2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
    total so far for 09 £92.99
  • highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd be paying in part on a credit card, even if that pushes the price up marginally. If only 1p, Section 75 applies.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport