PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Best way to be alert.

Options
Not meaning this as medical advice in case its seen as that but what I tend to notice is no matter if I have 6 hours sleep, 10 hours, 15 or 8 or whatever I at best feel rested but tired during day and in late evening onwards more alert so I don't want to sleep and of course the more sleep I get the more I don't want to go to bed.

Little things help like having a shower maybe as it drags me away from doing nothing, a glass of water or even madly enough using the toilet, individually only having the shower has a noticable effect, but glass of water makes me feel less bloated by a miniscule amount, and going to toilet of course makes me feel lighter lol.

But outside that whats good at keeping alert? Energy drink makes me depressed, coffee isn't that bad but often gives me bad come downs too unless its sugar free,

The best thing is being active but that also knocks me out as I feel active and knocked out at same time so I need that active feeling whilst also relaxing or doing everyday things.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You might be one if those people who does better with a nap in afternoon or early evening. Apparently that's what we used to do in the olden days.

I'm the same as you but no time to nap most days.

Also, excuse me if I'm speaking out of turn but could it be the dreaded menopause? Mine started early and I've been tired ever since :/
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm a man so no menopause lol, that being said I did have a testosterone problem a few years ago where it was very low for a while then very high another time, the high was when they prescribed me testosterone gel and lets just say the side effects were that at first I felt like wanting a beer now and again, then started craving female attention if you get what I mean lol then I couldn't sleep for 3 days as sex on mind, managed to sleep eventually and a week later was awake 3 days as sex on mind all the time too.

Or it wasn't sex as much as body was full of adrenaline.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Maybe a short walk at intervals - even if what I call a Lazy Persons Walk (ie 1-2 miles).

Might re-phrase that as "Most middle-aged British peoples walk":rotfl: - due to the number of times over recent years I've arranged to go for a walk with same age group friend. Only to find that they seem to think we've "had a walk" when we've only gone a mile or two - and left me with questions in my mind as to what health problem they have that they've not mentioned to me that they start "digging their feet in" and saying they arent walking any further after such a short distance:rotfl:
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Caffine.

If you don't like the drink then there are little tablets you get from Holland & Barrett and the like which do an equally good job without the taste.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 August 2016 at 10:28AM
    Options
    Dekaspace, if I remember correctly you have similar tendencies to my younger daughter, who has PDA? I know that various friends of mine have found a small dose of melatonin to be helpful for their AS kids/young adults to achieve a more regular sleep pattern, which would help you be more alert at the right times, and I believe it's available over the counter, though you should always tell your GP if you're trying something like that out. I have mentioned this to my daughter, who struggles mightily with her sleep pattern, but she'd rather not be taking any medication at all (no matter how natural) although at the moment that's not possible.

A regular, calm bedtime routine, avoiding any kind of sweet food or drink after supper, and trying to stay away from screens (TV, computer) after about 10pm have all helped her, but aren't always possible in a busy household. And no dancing... though that may not be a problem for you! Perhaps no gym after 10pm? Though as MTSTM mentions above, a good walk after tea is very relaxing - in green spaces, if at all possible.

I have a suspicion that staying away from electrics would help my daughter; the only times she ever slept as a young child were when we were camping. Sometimes in summer I set up camp in our garden just so that I could get some sleep; she'd be out like a light at 9pm and stay that way until 7am and that never once occurred indoors, anywhere. She's 21 now & I still get woken sometimes to deal with some imaginary disaster, usually involving the fox & her beloved chickens, or partygoers saying noisy farewells out in the street.

And some of us are just owls instead of larks - I'm one! Other Half is a lark, happy to get up at 5.30am and be at his desk by 7am, when I'm still struggling towards consciousness. But I'm still looking for the party at 11pm, when he's (not surprisingly) completely flaked out. I just read quietly until my mind switches off; nothing too exciting, mind you! However that is just the way we are; it's a settled pattern, not disruptive, and I can function perfectly well on the days when I have to be up & away at 6.30am for my little business.

ETA: it's not the amount of sleep that makes you feel groggy the next day, it's the quality of that sleep. Too much is as bad as too little, and broken tossing & turning will make you feel just as muzzy-headed as no sleep at all.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Quite agree re the difference between owls and larks. It didnt strike me just how much people can differ in that respect until I had in some continental lodgers ages ago and they would be off out for a "night on the town" or at least a walk at about the time I was calling it a day and going to bed.:rotfl:
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Options
    My eldest son is also an owl, although that again is a settled pattern & not a problem. He copes with it by basically tele-working with people in California - they're in the same timeframe as him! Interestingly when he went out there recently he had no problems adjusting to the time difference, just slipped straight into life over there without needing any time to adjust. But coming home, he tried to stay awake right round the clock to re-set himself & avoid jet-lag. Didn't work! ;)
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Not meaning this as medical advice in case its seen as that but what I tend to notice is no matter if I have 6 hours sleep, 10 hours, 15 or 8 or whatever I at best feel rested but tired during day and in late evening onwards more alert so I don't want to sleep and of course the more sleep I get the more I don't want to go to bed.

Little things help like having a shower maybe as it drags me away from doing nothing, a glass of water or even madly enough using the toilet, individually only having the shower has a noticable effect, but glass of water makes me feel less bloated by a miniscule amount, and going to toilet of course makes me feel lighter lol.

But outside that whats good at keeping alert? Energy drink makes me depressed, coffee isn't that bad but often gives me bad come downs too unless its sugar free,

The best thing is being active but that also knocks me out as I feel active and knocked out at same time so I need that active feeling whilst also relaxing or doing everyday things.

Thoughts?

How have you got on with the advice offered before, routine and healthy eating ?

You constantly post about lack of energy/motivation,poor sleeping habits and a pretty rubbish diet

If your medication is stable, you really do need to address these problems

Seriously, nothing will change unless you address these issues
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family