MoneySaving Poll: Do you support renationalisation of rail, energy, water and more?

Options
2»

Comments

• dominoman
    Options
    Good God! Are these results real?

Why do so many people think that having a bunch of uninterested, overpaid, job-for-life civil servants running these services is going to be better than private companies. I am amazed.

Perhaps the poll has been hijacked by Corbynites and Trotskyites.

Anyone who voted Nationalise should move to North Korea or Cuba for a year and then see if they would change their mind.
  • realaledrinker
    Options
    Your use, or rather misuse, of i.e. rather than e.g. on some of your examples suggests we should instead have a vote on the quality of journalism on this site.
    Ethical moneysaver
  • Somerset
    Somerset Posts: 3,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dominoman wrote: »
    Good God! Are these results real?

Why do so many people think that having a bunch of uninterested, overpaid, job-for-life civil servants running these services is going to be better than private companies. I am amazed.

I suspect a lot of people/poll voters have never experienced British nationalised industries in all their glory. Note, I said British, our continental cousins do seem better at this. I suspect pro supporters envisage the same or better, cheaper and profits reinvested. They would be in for a hell of a shock.
  • Rosemary7391
    Options
    Somerset wrote: »
    I suspect a lot of people/poll voters have never experienced British nationalised industries in all their glory. Note, I said British, our continental cousins do seem better at this. I suspect pro supporters envisage the same or better, cheaper and profits reinvested. They would be in for a hell of a shock.

Is there a sensible suggestion for, say, a totally privatized railway? One that gives me a choice of train companies to use between any two given points that are actually seriously in competition with each other? I'm generally for getting the governments nose out of things that are easily controlled by markets, but I can't see how trains are one of those things.
  • MiserlyMartin
    Options
    Senseicads wrote: »
    I am less clear on the benefits of rail privatisation. Those companies still make profits yet we pay the highest rail fares across Europe. But then back in the 80's british rail was terrible so I don't know what is best there.

All I know is that in countries where the rail is run or paid for by government, it is far cheaper and better quality. I am talking about experience of using the rail in Australia and the USA.

Its interesting in this poll how many % have voted to renationalise or all age groups
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure