Leave

Options
My normal working hours are 0800 to 1700 Monday to Friday, but we are allowed to start at 0730 to 1700 Monday to Thursday which allows me to finish at 1200 on Fridays due to the extra half hour Mon to Friday. If i want to take Friday morning as leave, I must submit a leave request for a whole day even though i normally finish 1200 on Fridays. do you think this is correct?

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Almost certainly.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes assuming youre booking a full week. It would cause complications should you only wish to book a friday. I suspect a word with the person who authorises holidays would clear how they would want you to take an individual day though.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    How does working 2.5 hours more get you 5 hours on a Friday! I need me that job...
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes.......
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Snow_white
    Options
    Yes. I would say it does I'm afraid.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yup, we have something similar here, on a Friday we finish at 2 instead of 5 but we use a whole days leave for a Friday.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would you use more than a days leave if you wanted Monday off?
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think it's correct.

But as above if you booked a Monday off they'd still take one day off even though you do a longer day. So they obviously just think it works out more or less so it's fine. Lazy and bad practice, but not sure there's much you can do about it.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 January 2018 at 8:09PM
    Options
    Its perfectly correct.

From an employers perspective it is madness to work holidays out by hours in these circumstances. Fridays would be swamped in holiday requests. Someone willing to book all Fridays off could work a 4 day week most of the year.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I work with someone who works 8 hours on Mondays and Fridays and 4 hours on Tuesdays to Thursdays, so 28 hours a week (5.6 hours being a theoretical average day though a shift is never this length). This is their permanently contracted hours, not an option of flexitime.
    They have to be replaced with other separately paid staff when they take holiday and can't understand why the company wants to deduct 16 hours rather than 11.2 hours from their holiday entitlement when they have a long weekend by taking both a Friday and Monday off. Are they correct?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure