MSE News: MSE calls on the Government to give people in debt crisis REAL...

Options
Former_MSE_Callum
Former_MSE_Callum Posts: 696 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
edited 17 January 2018 at 5:43PM in Campaigns corner
People struggling with serious debt should be given a grace period of a year before being hit with interest, charges and enforcement action, MoneySavingExpert.com has told the Treasury...
Read the full story:
'MSE calls on the Government to give people in debt crisis REAL 'breathing space''
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Jezzamk
    Jezzamk Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whilst I have some sympathy for people in debt and the need to help them recover, it can be bad if you are owed money.

I paid a large deposit for block paving. After 9 months of excuses I resorted the small claims court to recover my money. After about another 4 months of excuses I resorted to appointing bailiffs.

Why should I be told to wait even longer before being able to take action. I couldn't afford to get somebody else in as I had already given the money to a builder who had used my deposit to pay off other debts.

It took 18 months from paying the deposit to getting my money back. Had he been given another year I suspect he would have declared himself bankrupt or disappeared.

I have learn't my lesson. If they want a deposit of more than about £100 I will not use them.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can see a lot of small businesses being hit by this. If the customer hits financial difficulties, then they are forced to give that customer a year's interest-free and payment-free credit.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure