Would you work away from home for double your salary?

Options

Comments

• BettyBoof
    BettyBoof Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good point agrinnall, definitely worth it.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    About 18 months ago i went the other way. From working away (contracting and staying in hotels all week) to working from home. Now earn about 50% (accounting for tax benefits of running a ltd company) of what i was earning. Still a very good salary by most measures.

Sometimes though i do find it a bit difficult being around all the time. I kind of got used to a bit of peace during the week.
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My DH worked away in different locations for 3 years, short term for us. It worked well so I'd say give it a go. It's also very easy to keep in touch these days with skype etc.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My wife works away, she always has done apart from six weeks after the birth of each child. She is home Friday-Monday morning, as I work part time around her days it means we don't need any childcare, which works very well.
  • BettyBoof
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, it is really helpful. I though the responses would be a resounding 'no' but I can see that is working/has worked for lots of you.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it helps, my Dad worked away 3-5 days a week whilst we were growing up and I don't remember missing him. Don't get me wrong we were always excited to have him home, but we had Mom.
  • Andrew_Ryan_89
    Options
    Well, double my salary if I was on £19k then no. Doubled my salary to put me on £100k then yes.

£100k salary would mean I could make a significant dent in my mortgage, could probably buy a second home and/or my wife would not have to work.

How much is your husband being offered?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    We were spread across two continents for years - for reasons to complicated to go into, the best schools for the children were in the USA, whilst dad and I were here in the UK. They came here every holiday. They grew up totally well adjusted, independent, young people with a great attitude towards life and very responsible and kind adults. The amount of time they see you isn't the thing. But neither is the money you earn. The quality of parenting is the only thing that matters. If you can provide that as parents, a bit of time away won't harm the family or the kind of people they grow up to be.

So I'm voting with the "go for it" brigade. And maybe some weekends, instead of dad coming back, you could go to him. Travel broadens their minds and their horizons, even if only in the UK.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    Family comes first, needs come before wants, etc etc
  • BettyBoof
    Options
    Thanks for all your opinions. The money matters in terms of security and needs rather than 'wants', we wouldn't even consider it if it was just for a nice car or a holiday (though those are lovely-to-haves). It's about clearing the decks and moving forward with a safety net.

It would be nice to take the kids to see Dad sometimes, especially during the school holidays. I do worry about them missing him but they have a great relationship with him now and if it was just for a year or so it hopefully wouldn't do too much damage. It's reassuring to read that others have had parents work away and managed just fine.

We still have some thinking to do but it feels like a possibility now instead of a definite no.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure