Hardshell suitcase

Options
Looking for recommendations for a good quality, attractive case not silly money for teenage daughter.

All suggestions welcome, thank you

Comments

• Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why it has to be hardshell?
    Those soft one are lighter.
  • horsegirl
    horsegirl Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    debenhams have a few in their sale. 70% off.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,930 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Definitely go for a hardshell as they are so light nowadays and an awful lot stronger.

I would personally go for a Tripp suitcase, always on sale in Debenhams or direct from Tripps website. I have had mine for years and travel 3 or 4 times a year and they still look like new.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi OP,

I've travelled extensively because of my old job, and now for pleasure (4th time away in October this year). I would advise against a hardshell suitcase, purely because if something very heavy is dropped on it (and believe me, you'd be surprised at what people take with them) they can crack and it becomes useless. - not very fun when you're stranded in the Cook Islands with a broken bag and nowhere to replace it until you get back to New Zealand. IF you're set on a hard shell, then always pack duck tape in case of emergencies - it will patch it until you can get it either repaired or replaced.

I had a hardshell, it lasted 4 months before it cracked, but before that a wheel fell off and had to be replaced.

I have an Antler revelation 4 wheel spinner, it has been literally round the world, it is 3 years old and looks just as good as they day I bought it. I got mine from a rather expensive shop, but you can get them off tesco for £40 new. The only thing I have had to replace is the lock because it got broken whilst on my travels (had to prize it off with pliers as it completely broke). There's loads of other decent cheap-ish ones out there.

If you are set on a hardshell, then debenhams tripp luggage is quite good; I've had a cabin case (soft shell though) from there and works well for a two wheel dinky one. Never had a big one though.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have a samsonite hard shell, I took it on my holiday to the states, so that makes it at least nine years old, it has been on multiple flights, cruises, coach trips, trains and thrown around our old loft. So far nothing has broken, but I did have to replace the lock as an airport in the states smashed it, despite the inbuilt lock being unlocked!
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 July 2014 at 9:33AM
    Options
    This one made of polyprop
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roncato-Suitcase-medio-68-blue/dp/B002KH0EX4/
    or look for Carlton Glider made of polyprop, heavier than ABS but does not split or rely on zips to keep the case together.
    Avoid the superlight weight cases unless you use them only for hand luggage, they don't survive 5 mins being chucked around.
    Another option is a travel rucsac, ideal for dragging round on a gap year, worth getting a bag to put it in for £10.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Jalan-55-Womens-Backpack/dp/B0039W6JRY/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport