New job confusion p45/46

Options
Hi all i hope i can explain the situation and not confuse anyone like i have confused myself!

Up until last year i was working for a business that ended up in liquidation, because of this i ended up on ESA, when the business was taken over by new management i was kept on but in an unpaid state due to health issues and continued to receive my ESA while continuing to work at the company as i had before it was liquidated.

I have recently been offered a new job that starts at the beginning of next month, but i have a concern (that i may be making it bigger than needed) on my CV i have stated i have worked at my previous employer since 2013 which i have, and have listed as still working there now (2013-2017) but here lies the issue, i forgot to mention to my new employer that i was receiving ESA and was not paid by my current employer for the last year, although i was working there as a normal employee, now i have cancelled my ESA claim and am waiting for my p45 to arrive, but as stated it will declare i was on ESA and not paid from my employer, i am slightly embarrassed about the situation and would prefer my new employer not know i was in receipt of ESA, (Pride issue) would i be able to fill out a Starter Checklist (p46) and hand that in while waiting for my p45 to arrive? Also if and when my new employer updates with HMRC will it inform them i was on ESA anyway?

i hope ive explained myself properly, if not i will try to explain if theres something that hasnt made sense

thank you!

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all i hope i can explain the situation and not confuse anyone like i have confused myself!

Up until last year i was working for a business that ended up in liquidation, because of this i ended up on ESA, when the business was taken over by new management i was kept on but in an unpaid state due to health issues and continued to receive my ESA while continuing to work at the company as i had before it was liquidated. - What?

I have recently been offered a new job that starts at the beginning of next month, but i have a concern (that i may be making it bigger than needed) on my CV i have stated i have worked at my previous employer since 2013 which i have, and have listed as still working there now (2013-2017) but here lies the issue, i forgot to mention to my new employer that i was receiving ESA and was not paid by my current employer for the last year, although i was working there as a normal employee, now i have cancelled my ESA claim and am waiting for my p45 to arrive, but as stated it will declare i was on ESA and not paid from my employer, i am slightly embarrassed about the situation and would prefer my new employer not know i was in receipt of ESA, (Pride issue) would i be able to fill out a Starter Checklist (p46) and hand that in while waiting for my p45 to arrive? Also if and when my new employer updates with HMRC will it inform them i was on ESA anyway?

i hope ive explained myself properly, if not i will try to explain if theres something that hasnt made sense

thank you!

Uhm it sounds like you were commiting benefit fraud. (im not saying you were).

Your new employer will probably think the same.

It makes no sense for someone to claim ESA and then work for free at this company.
  • Sorry perhaps i didn't explain the situation properly,

After the company was liquidated i became ill and began to receive ESA, i was kept on with the company in an unpaid state (i.e voluntary work)
  • Comms69
    Options
    You became ill, received ESA but continued to work. You say for free, a skeptic might say for cash in hand.

I don’t know, but what I can say is what I would think in the scenario if I was the recruiting manager.

Will your voluntary work give you a reference ?
  • no i think your misunderstanding and twisting a situation, yes i became ill and received ESA and continued to do VOLUNTARY work which is permitted, yes they are happy to give a reference,

not everyone on this board is a fraudster.
  • daisy23169
    Options
    Does your cv say you were employed (in a paid role) up until xx date and then worked in a voluntary capacity from xx date onwards, or does your cv suggest you were in paid employment throughout? And what is their reference going to state? I would assume the reference will show the former.
  • Comms69
    Options
    no i think your misunderstanding and twisting a situation, yes i became ill and received ESA and continued to do VOLUNTARY work which is permitted, yes they are happy to give a reference,

not everyone on this board is a fraudster.

Im not saying you are, I'm saying what I would think if I was recruiting into a position. To say 'no thanks' I don't need proof, just my own judgment.

You have to appreciate that someone claims ESA but continues to do the same job voluntarily seems strange. If you could do the job, why wouldn't they pay you?

I mean the whole thing is strange. You maybe were entitled to be paid, legally.
  • Samsung_Note2
    Samsung_Note2 Posts: 774 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2018 at 3:38PM
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    You became ill, received ESA but continued to work. You say for free, a skeptic might say for cash in hand.

I don’t know, but what I can say is what I would think in the scenario if I was the recruiting manager.

Will your voluntary work give you a reference ?

Im sure your well aware already...but you can work for a wage and claim ESA.

When on ESA I was reported for working (fixing computers/building/buying and selling) and after a long Under caution interview, was told to carry on with what I was doing as no rules were broken and impacted on my ESA in no way.

Then when started work on the books received 26 weeks (from memory) additional payments for getting back into work voluntarily.
  • Comms69
    Options
    Im sure your well aware already...but you can work for a wage and claim ESA.

When on ESA I was reported for working (fixing computers/building/buying and selling) and after a long Under caution interview, was told to carry on with what I was doing as no rules were broken and impacted on my ESA in no way.

Then when started work on the books received 26 weeks (from memory) additional payments for getting back into work voluntarily.

Yes of course and I don't have a problem with that. It's the claim that it's voluntary that strikes me as odd.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But to answer the original question, it's quite normal not to have your P45 by the time you start a new job, so asking the new employer for a New Starter form (was the P46) is acceptable.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport