Flop flopping between two options - Job

Options
Flop flopping between two options and I need some clarity – either I’m giving up a good thing or I’m too comfortable and its best I stir it up…..

Should be noted – I’m getting on a bit (and I have a significant disability)

Option one

Been here a number of years
My last two predecessors happily did this job until they retired.
Only responsibility is to my own work load – so overall a low stress environment.
Accordingly the pay ok for the work I do, but not brilliant
Limited parking on site so it’s always a bun fight
1 hour each way commute
Due to my long service - I get a free holiday once a year to mystery shop (I get to pretend to be a holiday maker) some of our parent companies products for them (you don’t get a choice when, where or how long you go for - inclusive of the style of trip) but its paid for including spending money.
Stat minimum A/L – but you can buy leave up to 5 days
Very basic pension

Two
Contacted by an old manager thinks I am ‘perfect’ for the role (wasn’t looking – she approached me) – very informal ‘chat’ that turned out to be an interview and offered the job
It’s not an area I have ever worked in - though some of my skills are transferable it’s very very different to my office based/correspondence based role.
Part of the role is public facing and with a local council
It’s a 3k minimum pay raise if I am offered the basic entry rate (pay is still to be discussed but as some of my stills are transferable i’d push for more)
No commute
Flexible working
Great pension
On site free parking (though I could actually walk/cycle)
They say they have a ‘generous’ leave allocation (22 days) but don’t offer a leave purchase scheme
Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The 'generous' leave allocation is only 2 days more than the legal requirement, so not all that generous. Overall you get more leave in your current job.
    Without knowing details of the 'great pension' it's not possible to comment but, as you say you are getting on a bit, would you actually see much financial benefit from it?
    Your old manager presumably knows about your disability and doesn't feel it would affect your ability to do the work, but would the disability which seems to be a communication problem, affect your ability in the public facing aspect of the job, or cause you undue stress in undertaking that element? It's one thing when the people you work with know and understand it but potentially another with those from outside the environment.
    The lack of commute and the additional salary are obvious draws to the new job but you do need to consider all aspects carefully.
  • lulu650
    lulu650 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jobwise, I'm older with a physical disability so the positives for me are;
    No commute
    Great pension
    Pay raise (would that bring you into the 40% tax bracket?)
    A change of work environment

I don't understand why 22 days holiday leave is considered generous. Presumably your statutory leave is 5.6 weeks including the 8 days bank hols? So 2 days extra?

I like the free holiday you are currently getting and you haven't mentioned your working environment/colleagues. What would you miss by leaving this job?
    Saving money right, left and centre
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport