Gap in CV query

Options
tgon
tgon Posts: 710 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
edited 9 January 2018 at 11:37AM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Im 62 and took early retirement 2.5 years ago but now find I'm not very good at it and want to regain employment, even if it's part time. I've done some volunteering this past 10 months but I'm not sure how to word the retirement gap in my CV. I don't think I've lost any skills or competencies but potential employers may feel I'm out of touch.

Also, I worry about obtaining references as all my previous bosses have moved on, died or retired themselves. Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• trailingspouse
    Options
    'Career break' would be a good form of words to start with.

OH has a gap of about 3 years where he gave up corporate life and became a photographer. We didn't starve, but it was a close-run-thing, so when he had the opportunity to go back to a proper job he took it. On his CV he says 'career break to apply creative and business skills to... etc etc'.

No-one has ever raised it as an issue, and if it's ever mentioned it's along the lines of 'I wish I was brave enough to do that'.

The important thing is the spin you put on it - make is sound like a positive move ('I wanted to give something back to society by using my skills in a voluntary capacity' sounds better than 'I was bored so I did some volunteering to pass the time').
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure