How about this

Options
Would freezing water in bottles during the day on solar power then putting them in the fridge at night be a saving?.
My fridge and freezer are currently using about 0.5kwh between midnight and 8am.
Would like to reduce this.
4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 November 2016 at 6:36PM
    Options
    ajbell wrote: »
    Would freezing water in bottles during the day on solar power then putting them in the fridge at night be a saving?.
    My fridge and freezer are currently using about 0.5kwh between midnight and 8am.
    Would like to reduce this.

That's funny, I've been pondering the same for some time. The main issue being the energy lost if you open the freezer unnecessarily to do this.

But my idea was the same, perhaps a 2lt bottle that you transfer back to the freezer once generation has picked up.

Gonna have to ask Z to do the maths on the energy saved (transferred/stored), but I suspect it gets a huge boost as water is a phase-change material at 0C so straddling that point allows for more energy to be stored.

The same principal applies to Sunamps heat battery which also uses a phase change material, but closer to room temp, to allow for more energy to be stored.

Would the fridge suffer at all from being off for long periods? Also, you could use another trick, which is to dial down the fridge temp* a bit too much, but plug it in via a simple timer switch that cuts the power from say 12pm to 8am ..... total guess ..... no idea what is appropriate ..... will depend on time of sunrise, otherwise it'll come on before generation and work hard on import leccy.

*Edit - just to be clear, I mean set the temp lower (colder) not dial down the power, probably have to 'dial' up the power. M.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • ajbell
    ajbell Posts: 1,151 Forumite
    Options
    Gonna be sunny tomorrow so I'll freeze a couple of 2L bottles and put them in the fridge on Wednesday night. See if I can use less than 0.5kwh.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can move your fridge/freezer to a cooler part of the house, and/or stick insulation on the outside of the case to reduce energy use. I've moved my old fridge (1981 vintage!) to the cool larder and it's really not using that much energy now.

There are also people who have converted chest freezers in to fridges. The high levels of insulation and top opening lid (cold air doesn't fall out when it's open) make them very energy efficient. I've seen chest fridge conversions, quite big units, which use about 0.5 kWh a day in total. Maybe one day I'll go this route, but the old fridge is going to have to break in some non-fixable way before that's an option.
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    We are just "doing the kitchen" and buying new devices. Decided to max out on the A+++++++++++++ ratings where the additional price was not mental.

Larder fridge is A+++ and rated at 90kWh per year. Currently looks as though it might come in at about 70, which is amazing as that is only 2p per day. Also bought and A++ under counter freezer, rated at 145 and looking to be heading for about 130, so 4p per day or so. Not yet got the other stuff but compared to my older gas guzzlers we should be on for saving a packet. Also interesting that the rated energy use labels are not making unrealistic claims, well not from the "better" manufacturers.

Only worth considering of course if you need or want to change devices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure