Time to buckle up, my LBM?

Options
13»

Comments

• Grapes
    Grapes Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Payday not coming quick enough. Looking forward to updating the signature and seeing physical evidence of progress.
    Overdraft: £250/1000
    Aim: Oct' 15 (25%)
    Loan: £550/4200
    Aim: Nov' 16 (13.09%)

Account tidy up savings: £44.56
    Last Update: March 27th '15
  • northerner999
    Options
    I have a stepdaughter who recently turned two. We find there are plenty of things to do that are free, and many museums etc. include free return for a year (sometimes in return for gift aiding your donation/entrance fee). She still a bit young to understand everything, but also too young to get bored at seeing the same thing twice or three times in a 12 month period.
  • Grapes
    Options
    Thanks northerner999, we have taken her to loads of free museums, didn't think of going twice. Me & Miss Grapes enjoy this so as she's now a little bit older we'll be able to take more in too.

Received £100 today from a family member who I had helped earlier in the month until they got paid (loaned them £100). First thing I done was log onto my account & apply to have my overdraft reduced to £900. Normally I would look for something to spend this one (madness!).

Is this a good idea for "paying off" the overdraft by reducing it? Would I be better in closing this account and opening up a better current account (I have x1 silver RBS account & a savings account with RBS with £1.13 in it) then throwing money into the overdraft account until clear?.

Can't wait for the day i'm no longer living month to month out of my overdraft!

• andyfromotley
    Options
    Hi mate, well done for starting to sort yourself out. The good thing is things aren't too bad for you.

Another way of looking at your debt is - I need another £300 per month to pay all of this debt off in under a year!! UNDER 1 YEAR!!!

So any sacrifices you do make will be short term. You already have £59 of that left over in your SOA so you are now looking for only £241 pm!! this is doable. Drop the gym for 10 months maybe? down to £210 pm needed. You get the idea.

oh BTW a second part time job would most likely cover this easily!!!
    £1000 Emergency fund No90 £1000/1000
    LBM 28/1/15 total debt - [STRIKE]£23,410[/STRIKE] 24/3/16 total debt - £7,298
    !
  • Grapes
    Options
    Cheers Andy.

Love that way of thinking, although it seems a toughie. I'm tied into my gym membership until June I think (i'll double check this). The weather will be nice then so will try snatch a bike from a charity shop for buttons and start running when I cancel that.

I have been looking for a delivery type driver for any local takeaways on a Friday or Saturday night for extra money to throw to debts but nothing available at this time. A few have kept my number handy for if / when they need one.

• Grapes
    Options
    Payday tomorrow, thankfully. Looking forward to putting money to debt. Breath of fresh air.

Account tidy up savings also up to £18.13 (think this is an excuse to keep updating my signature throughout the month).

• Grapes
    Options
    £250 thrown to the loan.
    Tidy up savings up to £23.49. (Just under 1/4 of £100 which is 1/10 of £1000, a good emergency fund to have).

Will budget over the weekend, and see how much I can put towards the overdraft. Hoping for £200.

Only noticeable purchase which I'll need this month (on doctors order due to pain in my back) is a new bed. Suppose it's about time considering mines is nearly as old as I am. Ebays my friend for this and seen some around the £150 mark (mattress included). Sort of grudging paying this but you can't put a price on health.

Signature updated. Onwards we go.

• StrugglingYouth
    Options
    If you can solve the debt issues before you move in with your daughter and OH you will find living their a lot easier. I cannot see you having £350 spare once this happens for frivolity.

£150 for a bed AND a mattress is incredibly cheap. You will spend 33% of your days in it. Not worth skimping on.

Ive always said buy quality for anything that keeps you off the ground, tyres, shoes + a mattress. A good mattress will outlast many bad ones. Sleep is so important. If you sleep better, your day will be better and if you are in good physical health, everything is easier!

Good luck!
    Sealed Pot Challenge:
    2014 = £202
    2015 = £382
  • Grapes
    Options
    That's the plan StrugglingYouth.

I aim to "keep the debt repayments up" once they are paid off, but rather than going to debt, going towards a deposit for a house in another savings account. This way I feel like i'm used to not having the money, whereas I fear bad habits may spring back into action if I suddenly seen it in my current account.

Been a month since I've been on. How life goes by fast.

Was a tough month, had to get a new bed (which has helped my sleeping incredibly), had 3 birthdays and last Friday there was a fundraiser for the little ones nursery so that cost a little too. Still managed to trow £50 at the overdraft.

Things got better yesterday, got a pay rise in work (5%), which got backdated to January and also found out I have lost a stone from the end of January. Lot's of positive feelings this morning on payday.

Put £300 towards the loan, & £100 towards the overdraft. Hoping to be able to put another £50 at some point in the month once all my main bills are off and I can budget the rest. Also, no birthdays or events due this month so should be good on that front. The weathers brightening up, and i'm off for a week in Easter as well as the OH & daughter so a lot of free activities are being sought for then.

Also added some more little bits and bobs to the savings. See signature.

Sorry for the long update, but it's been more than a minute. Hope all are making progress on their own journeys.

G.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing