Interview for new position with a twist...

Options
Two internal candidates were interviewed for a new role within their department. Both were told to apply by the head of department and interviewed by HoD and a HR representative.

Candidate 1 was offered the position, accepted and went on maternity leave 2 days after.

Candidate 2 was offered the maternity leave cover position at the same time as an offer was made to candidate 1.

Your thoughts please...
MFW: Nov 2008 £156k, Jun 2015 £129k, Jun 2017 £114k.

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bit cheeky.

If I wanted the job I'd suck it up and hope she didn't come back.

If I was pee'd off I'd take the job (out of spite) and actively look for a new one, thus dumping the firm in the doo doo when they thought they'd been the smart ones only to discover the "pushover" handing their notice in at an inconvenient time.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Two internal candidates were interviewed for a new role within their department. Both were told to apply by the head of department and interviewed by HoD and a HR representative.

Candidate 1 was offered the position, accepted and went on maternity leave 2 days after.

Candidate 2 was offered the maternity leave cover position at the same time as an offer was made to candidate 1.

Your thoughts please...
    My thoughts were the company quite rightly ignored the fact candidate one was pregnant and allowed her to be promoted.

Candidate two has a great opportunity togain the experience needed and presuming Candidate 1 is returning full time (which she may not) candidate two at about 7/8 months should look at opportunities to work elsewhere having gained some great experience.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My thoughts are that the company picked the best person for the job, correctly not factoring in the fact one candidate was pregnant in their decision. Clearly the second candidate has potential if they were asked to apply, so is being given the opportunity to get some relevant experience to help them do better next time. It's up to them whether they take the opportunity or not.

Why, what are your thoughts?
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was in a similar position years ago, didn't get the post but the employer then asked me to take the role on an acting basis. I agreed but it stuck in my craw.

I think if the same situation arose today I would politely decline their offer and may cast an eye out for a move.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I can certainly understand the OPs apparent displeasure at the situation. They were apparently only thought to be second best for the job, but good enough to do the work when the other applicant left within days. Hopefully the OP is on the same money that the original person was on.
    One thing to be cautious about is a situation I have come across on more than one occasion. Staff member provides temporary cover for absence, 'temporary' is several month, and they are expected to do the entire job. Person being covered for doesn't return and the job is then advertised. Person covering the job is then told they don't have the required qualifications to be appointed to the role! That really is taking the ****.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another scenario I witnessed many years ago, "A" was often offered temporary promotions which he always took until one day he refused because he believed he was being taken advantage of (he did receive the pay of the higher grade whilst on temp promotion). Temp promotion was therefore offered to and accepted by "B".

A couple of months after "B"'s stint ended, a permanent promotion vacancy arose. It was offered to and accepted by "B".
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Something very similar happened in my work recently, though not all internal candidates. One lady was offered the role but is going off on maternity leave and the second candidate is covering the maternity leave. Everyone I have spoken to is pleased. It is very common when interviewing that several candidates could do the job - the best gets it. In this case the second candidate also gets an opportunity.

Not offering the role to the best candidate because she was pregnant would be illegal discrimination. Readvertising the maternity cover without offering it to the second candidate seems like a waste of time.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport