poker staking debts

If someone stakes a player in the UK to play poker and gets them to sign a written contract and part of the agreement is that they will pay back in full the amount of money they're down (assuming they're down) when/if they decide to end the staking arrangement is this debt enforceable by law?

I've had someone say it's not enforceable because it's a gambling debt but others seem to think it is.

Comments

• phatus10 wrote: »
    If someone stakes a player in the UK to play poker and gets them to sign a written contract and part of the agreement is that they will pay back in full the amount of money they're down (assuming they're down) when/if they decide to end the staking arrangement is this debt enforceable by law?

I've had someone say it's not enforceable because it's a gambling debt but others seem to think it is.

Why don't you just play with matchsticks or buttons if you don't want to play with real money?
  • whitepaper wrote: »
    Why don't you just play with matchsticks or buttons if you don't want to play with real money?

Not really sure how to answer this. I assume you're joking so i'll just use this funny emote :rotfl:.

Hopefully someone will be able to give me a serious answer.
  • Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Depends where in the UK you're talking about. In Northern Ireland, it's not enforceable. In the rest of the UK, it probably is (assuming there's no other problem with the contract). See here.
  • Thanks for the information. :)
  • whitelabel
    whitelabel Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    If youre the one loaning money, I would just do a written contract saying its a loan how much for and when its due to be repaid

the person is then free to do with it what they want

if youre the one owing money, pay up !
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi Phatus10, thank you for your query regarding gambling debts
    I am sorry but without knowing more details or the agreement I could not advise you on whether the agreement is enforceable but the other party would have to take action in court to recover the money. I would suggest you seek advice from a debt adviser. You can find your local Citizens Advice Bureau at https://www.citizenadvice.org.uk.
    Hope this is of assistance
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure