London Oyster

Options
Football_Geek
Football_Geek Posts: 41 Forumite
edited 22 October 2016 at 1:47PM in Public transport & cycling
[FONT=&quot]I received a penalty fare for oyster. I touched in, but according to the ticket inspector the card did n’t work.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The inspector asked for my name and address which I gave. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He then went on to tell me that he has the full list of everyone who lives at every address in the UK on his smartphone. How is that possible? [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The inspector asked me a number of other questions besides my name and address. Are they allowed to do that?
[/FONT]

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Loud audible bleep when you touch in , are you sure it was accidental

Used oyster for years with no problems
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    He then went on to tell me that he has the full list of everyone who lives at every address in the UK on his smartphone. How is that possible?

You can get access to data services which will provided this (at a price) but how up to date it might be is open to question. If it is a matter of going to a website then no reason why it should not be done on a smart phone.

What sort of "other" questions were asked?
  • Football_Geek
    Options
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    You can get access to data services which will provided this (at a price) but how up to date it might be is open to question. If it is a matter of going to a website then no reason why it should not be done on a smart phone.

What sort of "other" questions were asked?

Data services, is that information on the electoral roll?

I was asked who I lived with, marital status, name of landlord, phone number and some other personal questions. My Oyster card is registered, which is another reason I don't know why I was asked these questions.
  • Stigy
    Stigy Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 October 2016 at 8:08PM
    Options
    Data services, is that information on the electoral roll?

I was asked who I lived with, marital status, name of landlord, phone number and some other personal questions. My Oyster card is registered, which is another reason I don't know why I was asked these questions.
    Anybody can ask what they like, what you have to give differs and is another matter. On the railway Railway Byelaw 23 and Regulation of Railways Act 1889 requires a suspect to supply their name and address to a railway official or Police Officer and that's all. No requirement even for a date of birth.

The inspector rightly wants as many personal details as possible, in case you were to tell porkies and the company/courts need to do some legwork to locate you.

If he asks investigatory questions regarding your travel (questions outside of those he'd need to ask to ascertain the difference between you in conjunction with the byelaws/legislation, or contrary to it), you must be under caution, otherwise he's wasting his breath and notebook paper.

He won't have a list of everybody, because not everybody is on the electoral roll. He's also unlikely to have these details accessible from his smartphone and would most likely make a phone call instead. He may have said this to make you believe he was checking your details where really he checked after you left?
  • Football_Geek
    Options
    Stigy wrote: »
    Anybody can ask what they like, what you have to give differs and is another matter. On the railway Railway Byelaw 23 and Regulation of Railways Act 1889 requires a suspect to supply their name and address to a railway official or Police Officer and that's all. No requirement even for a date of birth.

The inspector rightly wants as many personal details as possible, in case you were to tell porkies and the company/courts need to do some legwork to locate you.

If he asks investigatory questions regarding your travel (questions outside of those he'd need to ask to ascertain the difference between you in conjunction with the byelaws/legislation, or contrary to it), you must be under caution, otherwise he's wasting his breath and notebook paper.

He won't have a list of everybody, because not everybody is on the electoral roll. He's also unlikely to have these details accessible from his smartphone and would most likely make a phone call instead. He may have said this to make you believe he was checking your details where really he checked after you left?

When the inspector told me he had the name and address of everyone on his smartphone, it sounded like rubbish. When I got home, I thought maybe there was some new techie thing on smartphone, which I had never heard of.

Maybe, he assumed I was naive to believe such rubbish.

He took my card, so had my card details and therefore my address.

My Oyster card is registered to my address. This is why I don't understand why he bothered with the other questions.
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Same thing happened to me last week. The card was definitely detected as I was allowed in. But i was penalised anyway. curious.

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If you were entering a Tube station with barriers short of jumping them or getting through straight after the person in front surely it'd have beeped at you with an error message on the display?
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure