PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is quick washing bad for clothes?

Options
I planned to go to a relatives this weekend and whilst there wash some clothes meaning I don't have to do mine again till Thursday or Friday.

Yes recently talked about false economy of big loads being worse than small loads, its not the money side of it more that I was worried that constant washing will lighten clothes due to washing out the dye and fabrics will get damaged.

So I wouldn't mind something to "freshen up" clothes i.e worn a t shirt for a hour or two one day and its smelly but not dirty to put it in wash to get it smelling nice.

So what I was thinking was.

The more washes I do even quick washes would damage fabric and lose colour faster.
Quick washes wouldn't clean the item properly so washing powder/liquid would still be on the clothes.
The more I use machine would wear down its life as well.

So was just wondering the actual reality?

Comments

• flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My current washing machine, which is less than a year old, has a super-quick-wash cycle. I used it once just to see what it was like. It's something like 27 minutes long...
    It was... fine... Okay I suppose if you're one of those folk who wears something once and then washes it, so really your clothes are only having a "freshen up" - but, and maybe I'm grungy - I prefer to wear something maybe 3 or 4 times before washing it, in which case, that 27 minute wash isn't really enough, meaning things have to be washed more often.

I now just use the standard cottons cycle. It comes in at something a bit mad like 2 hours 30, but you can reduce that to 1 hour 30, which I find absolutely fine MOST of the time.
    But if something has got really bad, like with mud or something, I leave it to do the full 2 hour 30 cycle.

I live alone, and have a fairly substantial wardrobe, so do a clothes wash (either whites or colours) about every 2 weeks.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Most weeks my wash is like 1 or 2 pairs of jeans, 1-3 t shirts and if I remember I chuck in tea towels hence why I only do it once a week.

I already did a wash this week but that was for bedsheets/quilt covers and had underwear in there too so don't want to do another.

I normally wear a t shirt 2 days, 3 if one or two of those days is just going to supermarket as in the house I just wear pj's and jeans I try and wear for 3 days and often can wear 4 days

This week I wore my t shirt just 1 day but it was already a bit iffy smelling I think it depends on fabrics as tend to notice certain thicker types of t shirt don't pong.

What I tended to notice was in the quick washes things didn't smell quite as fresh as a full wash though no pong to them but also almost as soon as I put them on they seemed to pick up smells very fast like sweat.
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    So I wouldn't mind something to "freshen up" clothes i.e worn a t shirt for a hour or two one day and its smelly but not dirty to put it in wash to get it smelling nice.

Put it on a hanger on the washing line. Air it out.
    Put it on a hanger in your bathroom, Steam (from shower/bath) it out.
    Does it smell sweaty or deodoranty? If you have a tumble-drier, a quick few mins will freshen.

For washing machine - you can make do with FAR less than it says on the detergent pack, ditto with fab conditioner. Turn your clothes inside out, pick a low agitation wash and separate loads as appropriate (ie don't stuff a pair of jeans in with your t-shirts).

http://lifehacker.com/5493813/less-detergent-washes-as-well-saves-you-a-lot-of-money
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yeah currently I put things out on balcony for as much as a few days but its the armpit area that smells a bit iffy, not full on sweat as much as just clammy whilst rest of t shirt smells nice.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You could give the item a quick hand wash, a good way to do it is while showering, two birds with a stone and not much extra use of water. I do this regularly when on holiday so I don't have to carry too many clothes when travelling.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Go see a doctor.... seriously go see a doctor! Might also be worth googling personal hygiene.

I am actually good at personal hygine, I have long showers every day and don't put on clothes that arer heavily smelly more it smells heavy clammy smell and the clothes themselves are spotless but with me its hard to pick up on smells.

I can put on fresh clothes and have a faint sweat smell to me, most people wouldn't even notice it but now and again you would get someone being nasty and normally those times would be the ones where I have only put on fresh clothes like a hour or less before.
  • bellaboo86
    bellaboo86 Posts: 316 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you a man by any chance? My clothes are fine on a quick wash but my partner's shirts still smell under the armpits if I only do a quick wash.
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    bellaboo86 wrote: »
    Are you a man by any chance? My clothes are fine on a quick wash but my partner's shirts still smell under the armpits if I only do a quick wash.

Yes I am a male.

I notice underwear and the like is fine on quick washes (though I hate doing them on it) but t shirts/tops don't smell as fresh.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I somehow end up washing a LOT of stuff - 6 adults in the house, one of whom trains or plays football about 5 nights a week, one who's training to run his 3rd marathon, one in a physical job where she's on her feet most of the day, and one who dances. It's a big machine (10.5 Kg) and very capable, but the quick washes just don't cut it unless it's a light load of stuff that has only been worn once, to do nothing much in. To be quite honest, the only 30℃ washes that are any good are the wool & silk/delicates cycles, which would never be a full load anyway.

The amount of detergent can be reduced quite a lot without the cleanliness varying or lingering smells being left behind. But the temperature can't be, in my experience, and heating the water is what takes the time & uses the energy. A vinegar rinse, by the way, is excellent for obliterating stale smells, but quick washes just don't do the job, for us.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    it smells heavy clammy smell and the clothes themselves are spotless

I wonder if it is what the clothes are made of? By that I mean natural fibres like cotton are less likely to 'hold on' to sweat and they dry (on the body) more quickly. Maybe try wearing a thin cotton t shirt under a collar and tie shirt/top to see if that helps?

Also some fabric conditioners can smell a bit 'off' dependent on your body chemistry - I bought one which was supposed to be floral and smelled like burnt plastic when I wore anything laundered in it lol

The other thing you need to watch out for is overfilling your washing machine. Your clothes need room to swish around and wash and rinse effectively (which I think is probably even more important on a short cycle).
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure