Coconut Milk

Options
What coconut milk (or coconut cream / creamed coconut) do you buy? I'm looking to work out what is the best value (not necessarily cheapest), and it's difficult.

Coconut cream / creamed coconut / coconut milk and varying %s within each make it complicated!

Comments

• Patrick_Stewart
    Options
    Coconut cream is good, smaller tin and you can save or freeze some of it if you don't need it more easily.
    I think you are only paying for water when you get coconut milk.
    Quite often receipes don't need a whole can so it can get really wasteful
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Coconut milk from B&M Home Bargains etc usually about 50p per tin normal size 3 or 4 of the small tins for £1 depending on which shop.Asda regularly have KTC creamed coconut blocks 2 for a pound or about 75p normal price.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Have seen recently, not sure where, maybe Lidl...Coconut WATER.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Always look in the section for ethnic foods. Coconut milk is much cheaper there.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Gnocchi
    Gnocchi Posts: 860 Forumite
    Options
    Coconut water comes from young coconuts which aren't producing milk yet. It can be in a coconut, carton or can. It might have added sugar or water or be mixed with other juices. It's refreshing, but expensive :(
  • hamsterfan1
    hamsterfan1 Posts: 8,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    we buy ours in a huge bag (powder just add water) from an ethic shop - it's much cheaper than the supermarket
    proud gran to 4 lovely boys and one little girl
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Have seen recently, not sure where, maybe Lidl...Coconut WATER.

That has more to do with a new EU directive, if it's not from an animal you can't call it milk.

This will also apply to other 'milk' like Soya milk, etc.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • SamsReturn
    SamsReturn Posts: 2,489 Forumite
    Options
    we buy ours in a huge bag (powder just add water) from an ethic shop - it's much cheaper than the supermarket

I bought a box of Maggi coconut milk powder mix, a while back. Can't remember what i paid, Tesco had it half price.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP what is it that you want to use the coconut milk/cream/whatever for? Because the post which mentions using coconut cream and not milk...well that's fine as long as you were not watching your weight or wanted to gain weight....but if you were swapping maybe double cream for coconut cream, you'd be OK.

If it was for the electrolytes (helpful if you do a lot of heavy exercise where you sweat a lot and can end up needing to rebalance your electrolytes-coconut water will do that; but not coconut milk and definitely not coconut cream)...what were you hoping to use the coconut ...... for?
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

You beat me to it:T. We bought a big bag this ages ago and it is very versatile. You add water gradually and mix until it is the right consistency of coconut milk or cream.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure