Pregnant and fixed term contract coming to an end...

Options
Hello there,

I've been looking for advice but it isn't clear so wondered if anyone here had any helpful insights.

My initial fixed term contract was for a year, my boss was on maternity leave and my stand in boss was a bit clueless about the whole thing. He tried to get it renewed for another year but could only get 6 months signed off because of the financial year ( or so he says), there has been no mention of not renewing. This contract is set to end June 19th, I will be 7.5 months pregnant then, if they don't renew do I have any rights?

The wording of the contract is that I'm employed for a specific project, however I'm Office Manager so that project is not really one that ends...

I would if they renew be looking to go on maternity leave July 28th as am due mid August..

Any insights most welcome!

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    You have a fixed term contract, and unless you could demonstrate that the ONLY reason they aren't renewing is your pregnancy, then toy are in the same position as anyone else on a fixed term contract. Your maternity leave would terminate on the expiry of the contract, but if you qualify for SMP, you would still get that.
  • Ninachu
    Ninachu Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    My Maternity leave is fine as I'll be there 15 weeks before my EDD.

So that means if they don't renew it constitutes dismissal?
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have enhanced maternity provision, personally I would take my maternity leave as early as possible (11 weeks before the due date)
  • sangie595
    Options
    Any non renewal is a dismissal! But unless the REASON for the non renal is related to your pregnancy, it's a fair dismissal. You don't get any extra rights to renewal because you are pregnant.
  • sangie595
    Options
    Sorry, I have just realised that I misread a date. Yes, it is correct that if the contract ends before your maternity leave starts, you won't still be employed by them so you would get SMA, not SMP. So taking maternity leave earlier may be good advice. But it won't stop them ending your employment. If that is what is going to happen.
  • Ninachu
    Options
    Can I wait till near the end date of my contract to take leave, as I do get enhanced Mat pay, I'd rather not do 11 weeks as I'll be bored!

Also money will be tight after the 9 months are up.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ninachu wrote: »
    Also money will be tight after the 9 months are up.

Only for the first 21 years or so.... :D
  • Ninachu
    Options
    Also as I understand it, as I will have been at this company 1.5 years I will still get my enhanced mat package and get SMP.

As I have at least 26 weeks service and will be there 15 weeks before my EDD.
  • sangie595
    Options
    Ninachu wrote: »
    Also as I understand it, as I will have been at this company 1.5 years I will still get my enhanced mat package and get SMP.

As I have at least 26 weeks service and will be there 15 weeks before my EDD.
    Are you absolutely sure about that? Company maternity pay is often tied to continuing employment, and ceases if your employment ends. Only SMP is guaranteed if you meet the criteria. Company schemes don't have to follow the same conditions.
  • sangie595
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Only for the first 21 years or so.... :D
    Depends. According to the latest figures that only applies to girls. It's 36 for boys!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure