Use by date..

Options

Comments

• geordie_joe
    Options
    Yep, and in the 'good old days' way more people suffered from food poisoning.

It's not that simple though, is it. In the "good old days" nobody had dates on packaging to guide them, EVERYBODY used their nose and eyes. So it would be better to compare only those who use their eyes and nose, not dates, these days.

Also in the "good old days" food was not looked after before it got to the consumer like it is today. So most cases of food poison in those days were because of what manufacturers and retails did with the food before it was sold to the consumer.

This was why brands became so popular, because wholesalers and shopkeepers couldn't tamper with it to make more money, as it was sealed in the factory.
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    well, did you eat it, and how do you feel ?
  • geordie_joe
    Options
    stephen77 wrote: »

Some of the older food poisoning cases have been a result of foods that have been contaminated from bacteria.
    If the sniff test was all that was required. These deaths would not have occurred.

Yes, such as the Great Typhoid outbreak of 64. The corned beef was contaminated when it was canned in Argentina and when it arrived in the Uk it was well within it's "best fore/use by" dates if these had been around at the time.

If dates had been used then it would not have prevented any deaths.

If food is contaminated before it is sealed in it's packaging then it is contaminated from that moment, and it is contaminated when you open it, regardless of which date you open it.
  • geordie_joe
    Options
    ERICS_MUM wrote: »
    well, did you eat it, and how do you feel ?

I started eating food in 1959, and don't remember ever having food poisoning.
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Use By - use common sense, sight & smell!

If it has been store correctly and kept chilled then the odd day over won't hurt, just look at the colour, smell it and above all trust your intuition, if in doubt throw it out, but I think most of us have eaten stuff a day or two beyond these dates.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • andy111
    andy111 Posts: 181 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

What did you do before you started eating food?
  • browneyedbazzi
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Have you any hard evidence to back that? People say it but I'm not convinced.

I agree with the point about ready meals with 'exotic' ingredients masking condition, though. I think they also mask the sort of poor quality ingredients we wouldn't have tolerated in times gone buy - which is one of the reasons the food trade and supermarkets have been so keen to 'enlighten' us.

If you google 'food poisoning statistics' you'll find plenty of evidence from official sources.
    Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, such as the Great Typhoid outbreak of 64. The corned beef was contaminated when it was canned in Argentina and when it arrived in the Uk it was well within it's "best fore/use by" dates if these had been around at the time.

If dates had been used then it would not have prevented any deaths.

If food is contaminated before it is sealed in it's packaging then it is contaminated from that moment, and it is contaminated when you open it, regardless of which date you open it.

yes, it would be still contaminated and people would be ill.
    However if the sniff test worked no one would have eaten the food.

Foods can be contaminated with less harmful bacteria and at a lower doses. SO if you eat the food with in the use by date, the bacteria levels will be still low. However the longer you leave it, the levels will slowly increase.
    Some bacteria's you will be able to sniff, some you may not.

That been said. It will depend a lot on the food, how cold your fridge it etc.

Just for people to rely on a sniff test on out of date products could result in people being ill.
    I just do not like blanket generalisations.

That being said I often eat certain products out of date.
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

some people get minor cases.
    Not had a cases of the squits? just your tummy feeling a little dodgy? Not even a little?

Use by dates are they to prevent the very minor cases. Not just you, but in the elderly who have weaker immune systems.
  • BentoBox_2
    Options
    Well, I usually direct myself with a nose and eyes. If it looks good and doesn't smell bad then it's still good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure