mortgage and endowment help

Options
2»

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What's the projected maturity value of the policy?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,965 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Check you are comparing like with like.

The sell option means selling the endowment, putting all the proceeds to reduce the mortgage balance. Taking out life insurance to cover what you had in the endowment. Then looking at your current repayments, adding on the amount you currently pay towards the endowment, less the new life insurance cost, seeing how that compares with keeping the endowment and what it would need to achieve in order to match the sell option. See if that looks reasonable.

So currently a 77k mortgage with £112 in endowment payment a month.

Surrender at 26k, leaves you with 51k mortgage and no endowments. If you continue paying the mortgage as if it was 77k and shove an extra £112 (less whatever life insurance for 77k is) , how soon would you clear it / what balance would be owed after 7 years?

Compare that with an estimate of what the endowment will produce at term.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • flopsy1973
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    What's the projected maturity value of the policy?

The projected amount is 43,000 with Prudentials view that 4.5% each year is assumption for future growth.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    flopsy1973 wrote: »
    The projected amount is 43,000 with Prudentials view that 4.5% each year is assumption for future growth.

It is not Prudential view that they use 4.5%. The regulator controls the assumed growth rates.

A fund growing consistently at 4% p.a. may use 4.5% just as a fund with 10% p.a. will do.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • flopsy1973
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Check you are comparing like with like.

The sell option means selling the endowment, putting all the proceeds to reduce the mortgage balance. Taking out life insurance to cover what you had in the endowment. Then looking at your current repayments, adding on the amount you currently pay towards the endowment, less the new life insurance cost, seeing how that compares with keeping the endowment and what it would need to achieve in order to match the sell option. See if that looks reasonable.

So currently a 77k mortgage with £112 in endowment payment a month.

Surrender at 26k, leaves you with 51k mortgage and no endowments. If you continue paying the mortgage as if it was 77k and shove an extra £112 (less whatever life insurance for 77k is) , how soon would you clear it / what balance would be owed after 7 years?

Compare that with an estimate of what the endowment will produce at term.

Right i hope i'v worked this out correctly??? if we pay £638 a month which includes the extra 112 a month from the endownment then after 7 years there would be a balance 0f £55,504 left.
    The estimate for the endownment in above post is 43K

I have not included insurance in this estimate as we need to review this also as we have 2 separate policies at the moment which need to be reviewed
    thanks
  • flopsy1973
    Options
    any thoughts with this
  • silvercar
    Options
    If you pay the endowment proceeds £26k now off the mortgage and keep the repayments at about £638 that you are paying now, in 7 years you will have cleared the mortgage (roughly speaking, depending on interest rates etc). So that would be a certainty.

The other option is to keep going with the endowment and take the new mortgage over a longer term (to allow for a lower monthly repayment) and hope that the combination of having a repayment mortgage and a maturing endowment gives you cash at the end.

Combine either of those options with an offset mortgage so you gain on any short term savings you have for further gains.

I can't predict what the endowment will pay out at, crystal ball territory. People seem to think the 4.5% assumption is low, so you could estimate higher - which means more than the 43k you are talking of.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • flopsy1973
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    If you pay the endowment proceeds £26k now off the mortgage and keep the repayments at about £638 that you are paying now, in 7 years you will have cleared the mortgage (roughly speaking, depending on interest rates etc). So that would be a certainty.

The other option is to keep going with the endowment and take the new mortgage over a longer term (to allow for a lower monthly repayment) and hope that the combination of having a repayment mortgage and a maturing endowment gives you cash at the end.

Combine either of those options with an offset mortgage so you gain on any short term savings you have for further gains.

I can't predict what the endowment will pay out at, crystal ball territory. People seem to think the 4.5% assumption is low, so you could estimate higher - which means more than the 43k you are talking of.

She can pay more now so surely it better to pay more to get the mortgage finished with rather than paying less for longer??? and the chances of that endownment giving us any surplus is not known.
    We do have short term savings so we could make further savings here????
  • silvercar
    Options
    flopsy1973 wrote: »
    She can pay more now so surely it better to pay more to get the mortgage finished with rather than paying less for longer??? and the chances of that endownment giving us any surplus is not known.
    We do have short term savings so we could make further savings here????

Personal choices based on attitude to risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure