3 or 4 bedroom house

Options
Hello, rently had an estate agent carry out a price evaluation on my house who said that my house should really be classed as a 4 bedroom property rather than a 3 bedroom but when i cam to undertake a remortgage (mortgage deal had ended) with my current lender they stated that my house was still shown as a 3 bedroom and that i would have to get this changed first but wouldn't explain how. My question is basically how do i officially have my house recognized as being a 4 bedroom property as this would obviously increase the property value.

thanks

Barry

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It would be sorted out the the valuation for the re-mortgage.

Which might not be free from your current provider.

Has something in the house changed though? Why was it classed differently before?
  • Alex28
    Alex28 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Has it got four bedrooms? If so then presumably this would be amended when you have your valuation. Why would it change though unless you have extended it or changed the layout?
  • bjdav14
    Options
    basically i had a side extension which was built prior to me buying the house which was used as a fourth bedroom by them, we initially had been using this as a games room so classed it as a second reception room but have for over a year now been using this as a 4th bedroom. When we had a quick valuation done by a local estate agent he said that we should class this as a 4 bedroom property rather than 3. When i tried to raise this as part of my remortgage that i recently undertook as they had valued the property as a 3 bedroom they stated they wouldn't alter this as this is what is listed as. I spoke to them recently and they advised me that i needed to get my house insurance changed to state that the property was a 4 bedroom property for this to take effect. this doesn't quite ring true to me and i just want to know how to officially have my property shown as being a four bedroom property.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bjdav14 wrote: »
    i just want to know how to officially have my property shown as being a four bedroom property.

There is no official way. There is not a secret register of no of bedrooms anywhere.

And if you want to class it as a 4 bed then I would think your insurance company would want to know so their request seems reasonable. And yes it would likely put up your insurance.
  • Number75
    Number75 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry I can't help with experience, but I'm interested in the idea that an EA would consider a ground floor reception with a bed in it, making it a 4 bed house.

I would certainly pay more for a 3 bed house that had a spare reception room, and I might use it as a bedroom... but I wouldn't consider it a 4 bed house.

Hope you can get the valuation you need though!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure