How long will the PS3 and Xbox 360 be around?

Options

Comments

• DavidA
    DavidA Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    These big companies don't want you to keep older hardware when they have more expensive hardware on the market, so support will dwindle.

PS4 will be too high a pricepoint for many for some time. Sony will be happy keeping the PS3 market alive until the PS4 pricepoint is low enough for people to move over. It took two years for the PS3 to outsell the PS3.

PDDNPpF.png
  • duggan1
    duggan1 Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AndyBSG wrote: »
    They're still producing games for the PS2 now(FIFA for example had a PS2 version this year).

FIFA14 was in fact the last game for the PS2 outside Japan (last game there being Final Fantasy XI).

The huge back catalogue for both will ensure that the console is worthwhile for some years to come, but online services may suffer.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Am in no great rush to get a PS4, if by going by previous console launches the launch games arent up to much.
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    I think there will be a difference to how the last generation finished because of the way gaming is carried out nowadays (online/streaming etc.)

The digital generation might have produced a lot of results - but that's dependent on marketplace. PC for example is markedly more digital than physical because of the competitive nature of digital pricing - however that's not replicated totally within console markets. Looking at it subjectively - on PSN right now FIFA 14 is £59.99, GTA is £49.99, both of which are cheaper even in the most expensive of retail stores. (And god knows I laughed when I saw HMV charging £42.99 for a pre-owned FIFA 14!)

Until such times as PSN/XBL resolve the pricing issues there's always a place for retail - especially when retail is 25-30% cheaper than digital! It would take a shift more towards the Steam mentality for it to really take off on consoles.

The question originally is subjective though, might just be because I'm slowing down in my old age when it comes to games, but there's plenty of games I've yet to play properly. The truth is the current gen can probably stay relevant purely with releases until the end of 2013 to me personally for a good few years yet.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • AlecEiffel
    AlecEiffel Posts: 874 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2013 at 9:31PM
    Options
    It will last as long as you own one. There is a massive back catalogue you'll be able to play even if/when the servers are shut down.

I don't think Gaikai will kill it, too many people have poor/capped internet for that to happen. It will stop some people keeping hold of a PS3 but as the market has pretty much reached the stage where if you want one you'll have one I don't see it making a huge amount of difference in the next couple of years. People won't buy a PS4 to play PS3 games when a cheaper PS3 will do it, it's just an added bonus for the consumer and a way to sell existing titles (and thus make money) for Sony.

I don't think lack of retail support will kill it (Game had a sizeable PS2 section for long after the PS3 came out) as there is always Amazon and eBay (which remember is blamed for killing off the high street).
  • BrookesAndrew
    Options
    Thanks to all of your for your response. I am hoping it will last for a couple of years because I really don't want to have to spend £300-£400 on a PS4. Maybe next year I think I will make the leap if I have some spare cash!

I do hope it will last a long while.
  • ender4
    ender4 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just bought a PS3 earlier this year.
    I expect to be playing games on it for at least 2 years.

Will probably buy a PS4 in 2015-2016.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sony usually keep their old console going for quite a while. microsoft usually kill theirs off very quickly. so i certainly wouldnt buy a 360 now unless you are part of the group of people wanting to prolong the life of their existing 360 games.
  • Joe_Boy_1986
    Options
    you say usually, but they've only had one other console out up to now and that was hardly considered a rousing success. It's all going to be a mystery tbf.
    Knowledge is a tool, and like all tools, its impact is in the hands of the user.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you say usually, but they've only had one other console out up to now and that was hardly considered a rousing success. It's all going to be a mystery tbf.
    true, microsoft have only had one before the 360. this is all opinion obviously as i dont work for either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure