Cheap glasses without prescription

Options
I want to try out reduced lens therapy which means I need a few pairs of glasses in lower prescriptions and maybe one pair of plus lenses for reading.
So here to ask if anyone can recommend a site that sells frames with lenses and doesn't ask for your prescription as proof. In the US they have eye buy glasses .com for example.
Something like vision direct who sells contacts and doesn't verify your prescription, but for glasses.
Thanks for any links.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 14 December 2017 at 10:27PM
    Options
    Reading specs only £1 at poundshops. No prescription needed

Glasses2you let you enter your own prescription
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You want to wear glasses of a lower power than you have been prescribed!! Have you thought this through? Do you drive? Have you thought of the consequences if you were to have a road accident and it came to light you had knowingly purchased glasses to a weaker prescription than you needed?
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • jamels2
    jamels2 Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think you legally need 20-20 to drive, it's more like 20-40. I don't want my eyes to become lazy and prescriptions get worse. Watch the Todd Becker presentation on YouTube.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As far as I remember at glassesdirect you just put in your own prescription they don't require a copy of the optitions.
  • tidus
    tidus Posts: 331 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jamels2 wrote: »
    I don't think you legally need 20-20 to drive, it's more like 20-40. I don't want my eyes to become lazy and prescriptions get worse. Watch the Todd Becker presentation on YouTube.

This is rubbish, an old myth.

Prescribing lower power glasses does not prevent deterioration (in fact one very well regarded study was abandoned due to the findings that this practice actually seemed to increase deterioration in children).

Sight deterioration in adults is age related. End of.

Wearing weaker glasses than you need equals less clear sight. No outlet can legally allow you to choose your old prescription anyway, not in the UK at least.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I don't want my eyes to become lazy and prescriptions get worse. Watch the Todd Becker presentation on YouTube.
    tidus wrote: »
    This is rubbish, an old myth.

Prescribing lower power glasses does not prevent deterioration (in fact one very well regarded study was abandoned due to the findings that this practice actually seemed to increase deterioration in children).

I was given bifocals at a young age, with the reading part reduced prescription as part of a trial. It didn't work, my eyes deteriorated rapidly and I'm now beyond -8 in both eyes.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Having weaker glasses than you need can lead to eye strain.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have had two annual tests, where the prescription for one eye has improved (no advantage for me), so they don't inevitably get worse.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :eek:

Please stay off the roads in London, Worcester, Croydon, Brighton, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Staffordshire and Ipswitch; I have friends and family who live there and I don't want them or their various dogs and cats to get hurt in your experiment.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 December 2017 at 1:00AM
    Options
    Dont mess with your eyes and vision,. Be guided by people who know exactly what they are talking about. CA...

MY OTHER HALf IGNORED CATARACTS AND DETATCHED RETINAS... AT THE 13TH OPERATION ON HIS EYEs HE IS NOW BLIND IN ONE EYE, WITH ONLY TUNNEL VISION IN THE OTHER. Stop thinking, for your own sake that you know better than the experts, if you dont, then you deserve everything thats coming
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport