WASPI Campaign .... State Pensions

Options

Comments

• slightlymiffed
    slightlymiffed Posts: 198 Forumite
    edited 22 July 2016 at 8:05AM
    Options
    I've now answered all the outstanding deliberately goading posts.

If you all cannot see what you are doing, or how you will be perceived, then that is for you to think about.

You will get no more ammunition from me for your relentless attacks on an ordinary woman just trying to defend my own views. Save your bile for bad people. I'm not one.

Be very proud of yourselves - you discredit both yourselves personally and the 'industries' with which you are associated.
  • slightlymiffed
    Options
    Before I leave this forum, maybe this first hand experience, written by a Waspi member, might enlighten some of you. Probably not - your prejudices run deep - but at least I've tried.

Shared from another waspi member:
    This has been written and sent and shared by a Salisbury waspi member.
    Says it all. 🐝
    My open letter to the Daily Mirror, please feel free to share "We Paid In, You Pay Out.
    There are several aspects to the 50’s women’s pensions and I have broken them down below.
    1. In the mid 1960’s – early 1970’s when the 50’s women began work and contributing to Graduated Pension and National Insurance the pension age when they began their journey into work was 60 for women and men retired at 65.
    2. From 1925 – 1940 women’s pension was equal to men’s at 65, but because women usually married men a few years their senior, it was believed that this was unfair on married men as they had to continue working until their wives reached 65, so in 1940, in fairness to MEN, the government changed the women’s pension age to 60 so the married couple could enjoy their retirement together. The government at the time showed compassion.
    3. Nothing has changed, women still usually marry men a few years their senior.
    4. Women continued to pay Graduated Pension contributions until it was phased out and merged with National Insurance.
    5. Paying National Insurance contributions entitles the contributor to benefits and old age pension, unconditionally and with no means testing.
    6. Women of the 50’s didn’t have the opportunities men had and didn’t enjoy the life style of women folk of today, they didn’t even have equal pay, still don’t, they had no choice but to pay their contributions by law at the same rate as men.
    7. So single women worked their way through life, from the ‘60’s/70’s making their contributions and their employers matching these contributions, anything from 9% - 12% of their wages just like men. They entered into the pension contract in the knowledge they would retire at 60. They have paid for their pensions and other benefits as required by law, they’re not expecting anyone to pay for them, they have contributed to their pensions for some 45 years and are still contributing today.
    8. Up until the 1970’s married women were given the option of paying the lower ‘married woman’ rate of NI, sometimes referred to as the 2p rate, this dis-empowered women as they would not be entitled to certain benefits and their pension age would be based on when their husband reached retirement.
    9. But married women who married before the ‘70’s who opted to continue paying the ‘standard NI rate’ the same as men were entitled to all benefits and were entitled to retire at 60 in their own right.
    10. Those who married and had children were often frowned upon if they worked, they were expected to stay at home, look after the children and become housewives, looking after their husbands and household too, men were the breadwinners, the wage earners. Mothers tended to find small part-time jobs such as dinner ladies, or cleaners to fit in around the children’s school hours and holidays just to add a couple of bob to the family purse, often these jobs were under paid, and didn’t have the equal pay commission on their side in those days, or a national minimum wage, often they were scant hours with no tax or NI responsibility.
    11. Mothers and carers were covered by the ‘Home Responsibilities’ credits, for example mothers were covered for 16 years while they looked after their children.
    So, the above are the bullet points relating to the history of women’s pensions. That is how things were, the law of the land from 1940, men retired at 65 and their wives and single women retired at 60 in fairness to men. Now let’s look at the present and the future shall we?
    A. We now learn that in 1995 the government decided that the retirement ages were unfair to men and needed equalisation, men and women would retire at the same age of 65 reverting back to 1925 despite what we learned during the years 1925 – 1940 and the resulting change of law then. This was blamed on the EU at the time and the EU was happy with the relaxed transition during 2010 – 2020.
    B. The government is said to have informed all those affected by this change in law personally, as is legally required, this was not the case, very few, if anyone actually received any notification of any change, this is being blamed on the fact that the government departments did not have up to date contact details for the women involved, but I hasten to add that these women still received their NI demands for payment, their self-assessment forms and their child tax credits, child benefits and their working tax credits, so the lack of up to date contact information is questionable, and most women were unaware of this change in law. A change in law which meant that women born in the 50’s would have to work an EXTRA 5 years.
    C. In 2007 the government passed yet another law, again on the quiet, not informing women or men that the pension age would increase to 66 between 2024 and 2026. Women all of a sudden would have to work an EXTRA 6 years while the men only had to work an EXTRA 1 year, in fairness to men.
    D. In 2010 labour stated they would raise the pension age to 66 but not before 2024. Again in 2010 Women’s state pension age would now be raised more quickly to reach 65 in 2018 which breached the coalition agreement promise of ‘no sooner than 2020’
    E. In February 2011 women's state pension would rise to 65 by 2018 and men’s and women’s pension ages would rise to 66 by April 2020.
    The above points are the here and now, this is where women stand at this point in time, while men only have 1 year EXTRA to work and in fairness to men, equalisation, 500,000 women will have to wait longer than a year, 300,000 the rest of us 50’s women have an EXTRA 6 to wait for our pensions despite the facts pointed out in the issues above.
    So looking at the facts alone it is clear discrimination of women vs men, in fairness to men the law was changed in 1940, again the law changed in fairness to men in 1995, nowhere do I see any fairness to women, all I see is discrimination, women earning a pittance before the equalisation of wages, and before the introduction of the minimum wage working and contributions towards their pensions, but pension denied at the age they began paying for in the 1960’s. 45 years of contributions, these women still paying for their right to retire at 60 in their own right paying the ‘standard rate’ NI instead of the married women’s rate, they have paid over the top, they have paid under false pretences to retire at 60, if women are not going to get their pensions at the age agreed when they began paying then the government has no right to collect any further contributions.
    It is the responsibility of the government to ensure that everyone understands the system, it is not the young paying for our pensions and it would be wrong for the government to imply this, it is us, we have paid in and we want out entitlement, this is not a benefit this is something we have paid into all our working lives under the assumption that the government would honour its side of the agreement as we have done, as our employers have done.
    Government have a duty of care to its people, women are suffering at the hands of governments policy.
    We Paid In, You Pay Out.
    It is also wrong to say the money isn’t there we all know that the NI pension fund should have been ring-fenced, and that the government have had their fingers in the pot as there is only £30bn left, but this is enough to begin paying what is due to us 50’s women.
    To talk about ‘helping us’ we don’t want ‘help’ we want what is rightfully ours, to talk about deals, maybe ‘lower rate, life time pension to retire early’ Retire Early, we don’t want to retire early we want to retire at the age agreed when we began paying into the system 45 years ago, ‘lower life time’ rate more discrimination, we have been discriminated against all our working lives, to have to draw a lower rate of pension than our menfolk is utterly wrong when we’ve all paid in the same percentages.
    It is cheaper to pay a woman her pension at the agreed date she began paying her dues, than it is to fund a young unemployed family, release these jobs for the youngsters, allow us women to retire at the age we agreed when we began our journey in our working life of contributions, look after the women who never stood a chance of accumulating the necessary years of contributions as their caring responsibilities didn’t allow for working to claim these credits, the mum’s who had children, they were allowed 16 years of home responsibilities credits but this has now changed to just 12 years, those who are looking after disabled children or elderly parents, of those who were housewives looking after their husbands and not working, relying on their husbands NI who have become widowed. Women have planned for their retirement to look after their elderly parents or their grandchildren or volunteer in the charity shop, this government has stripped the country of its army of grey volunteers in its greed, costing the taxpayer thousands in caring, in childminding, it’s time for change time, for respect for the 50’s women, some of us 60 something ladies have been found wanting, some on workfare working for jobseekers allowance, lost their dignity, lost their will to live as their old bodies are cracking around them and they can’t cope with the hard graft day in, day out, some go cap in hand to the jobcentre for benefits, and some go to foodbanks, some have sold their homes, this is degrading when they have done everything required of them all their working lives, this is a serious matter and needs to be addressed now, not in a months’ time, it needs urgent attention, we didn’t choose to be born women and I thought discrimination against women had been stamped out, this government has brought it back on the biggest platform ever, this is an issue which affects every man, woman, child, grandchild, boy, girl, mum, dad, sister, brother, those in need of voluntary services, it’s time to go back to the drawing board, time to wake up and understand we will not give up, time to pay up.
    As Ros Altmann says we were not given notice or change and have had no time to make changes to our retirement plans. Men are now retiring earlier than their womenfolk, the system has gone full circle in 'fairness to men' without a thought to the womenfolk, some men are having to work on longer as the 'expected' wife's pension is denied and the joint income including the man's pension isn't enough to cover household bills.
    On a personal note, I was going to retire next year at 60 because I paid the ‘standard rate’ of NI and could retire at 60 in my own right rather than paying the lower ‘married womens’ rate and wait until my husband reached retirement age, my retirement age would then have been 63 as my first husband was 3 years my senior, paying the ‘standard rate’ all these years has made no difference to my retirement age whatsoever I find I have to work until I’m 66 no matter what. But my present situation is slightly different, I was hoping to receive my pension at 60, not long to wait, my 59th birthday this week, that way my husband who suffered a ruptured Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm a few years ago is finding it difficult keeping up with his full time work, he tires easily, the plan was to cut his hours to suit his needs when I retire next year, with the sudden changes in pension ages he will have to continue to work full time until he reaches 66 or if this fatigue worsens he will have to think about claiming benefits.
    So all those years I paid into a system believing I would retire at 60 and now at 59 I find I am not, and still this government is taking my NI contributions at the ‘standard rate’ I wouldn’t even have been better had I paid the ‘married women’s rate’ allowing me to retire at 63, the goalposts have changed beyond reach. All those years paying into a system which would look after me and mine in my retirement, except governments have reneged on the deal we sparked up when us 50’s women began our journey into work 40 odd years ago, the government owes us, they are in breach of contract.
    Women of the 50’s are strong we will continue our fight until we get what is ours by right
    We Paid In, You Pay Out.
    Trudy from Somerset"
  • OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So if this woman was given her state pension of £7.5k and retired her husband could work part-time. She must be earning less than £7.5k perhaps the answer would be to do more hours to support her husband and do her best for him.
    I still cannot understand how the elephant in the Waspi nest, the inequality of a women drawing a pension for an earlier and longer time, is totally ignored or was for men's benefit. The world has moved on from the 40's. The concept of married people being taxed separately went years ago.
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    If WASPI had campaigned against the 2011 Act, they might have achieved something. Instead they stuck their heads where the sun don't shine hoping for a miracle.What a wasted effort!

I agree, it is the second change that was too fast particularly given that we were preparing for the first change. I don't think ten years to prepare is a magic figure but the 2011 change meant 2 years till my 60th birthday, when I originally expected to get my SRP, and just under 6 years till my revised date. When you combine the two it makes the change over very hard to plan for.

Personally I have no problems with equalising SRP age and no problem with the first change but I do think that there is a group of women, I think it is mainly the 1953 and 1954 women, who have had a rough deal.

In my case it isn't a disaster as I have a pension I have been receiving since my 60th birthday and also receive Carer's Allowance but that won't apply to everyone.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    OldBeanz wrote: »
    So if this woman was given her state pension of £7.5k and retired her husband could work part-time. She must be earning less than £7.5k perhaps the answer would be to do more hours to support her husband and do her best for him.
    I still cannot understand how the elephant in the Waspi nest, the inequality of a women drawing a pension for an earlier and longer time, is totally ignored or was for men's benefit. The world has moved on from the 40's. The concept of married people being taxed separately went years ago.

My husband retired due to ill health 25 years ago when I was 37 so some of us do work long hours at work and then as carers.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Before I leave this forum, maybe this first hand experience, written by a Waspi member, might enlighten some of you. Probably not - your prejudices run deep - but at least I've tried.

Says it all. 🐝
    My open letter to the Daily Mirror, please feel free to share "We Paid In, You Pay Out.
    There are several aspects to the 50’s women’s pensions and I have broken them down below.
    1. In the mid 1960’s – early 1970’s when the 50’s women began work and contributing to Graduated Pension and National Insurance the pension age when they began their journey into work was 60 for women and men retired at 65.
    2. From 1925 – 1940 women’s pension was equal to men’s at 65, but because women usually married men a few years their senior, it was believed that this was unfair on married men as they had to continue working until their wives reached 65, so in 1940, in fairness to MEN, the government changed the women’s pension age to 60 so the married couple could enjoy their retirement together. The government at the time showed compassion.
    4. Women continued to pay Graduated Pension contributions until it was phased out and merged with National Insurance.
    5. Paying National Insurance contributions entitles the contributor to benefits and old age pension, unconditionally and with no means testing.
    6. Women of the 50’s didn’t have the opportunities men had and didn’t enjoy the life style of women folk of today, they didn’t even have equal pay, still don’t, they had no choice but to pay their contributions by law at the same rate as men.
    7. So single women worked their way through life, from the ‘60’s/70’s making their contributions and their employers matching these contributions, anything from 9% - 12% of their wages just like men. They entered into the pension contract in the knowledge they would retire at 60. They have paid for their pensions and other benefits as required by law, they’re not expecting anyone to pay for them, they have contributed to their pensions for some 45 years and are still contributing today.
    8. Up until the 1970’s married women were given the option of paying the lower ‘married woman’ rate of NI, sometimes referred to as the 2p rate, this dis-empowered women as they would not be entitled to certain benefits and their pension age would be based on when their husband reached retirement.
    9. But married women who married before the ‘70’s who opted to continue paying the ‘standard NI rate’ the same as men were entitled to all benefits and were entitled to retire at 60 in their own right.
    10. Those who married and had children were often frowned upon if they worked, they were expected to stay at home, look after the children and become housewives, looking after their husbands and household too, men were the breadwinners, the wage earners. Mothers tended to find small part-time jobs such as dinner ladies, or cleaners to fit in around the children’s school hours and holidays just to add a couple of bob to the family purse, often these jobs were under paid, and didn’t have the equal pay commission on their side in those days, or a national minimum wage, often they were scant hours with no tax or NI responsibility.
    11. Mothers and carers were covered by the ‘Home Responsibilities’ credits, for example mothers were covered for 16 years while they looked after their children.
    So, the above are the bullet points relating to the history of women’s pensions. That is how things were, the law of the land from 1940, men retired at 65 and their wives and single women retired at 60 in fairness to men. Now let’s look at the present and the future shall we?
    A. We now learn that in 1995 the government decided that the retirement ages were unfair to men and needed equalisation, men and women would retire at the same age of 65 reverting back to 1925 despite what we learned during the years 1925 – 1940 and the resulting change of law then. This was blamed on the EU at the time and the EU was happy with the relaxed transition during 2010 – 2020.
    B. The government is said to have informed all those affected by this change in law personally, as is legally required, this was not the case, very few, if anyone actually received any notification of any change, this is being blamed on the fact that the government departments did not have up to date contact details for the women involved, but I hasten to add that these women still received their NI demands for payment, their self-assessment forms and their child tax credits, child benefits and their working tax credits, so the lack of up to date contact information is questionable, and most women were unaware of this change in law. A change in law which meant that women born in the 50’s would have to work an EXTRA 5 years.
    C. In 2007 the government passed yet another law, again on the quiet, not informing women or men that the pension age would increase to 66 between 2024 and 2026. Women all of a sudden would have to work an EXTRA 6 years while the men only had to work an EXTRA 1 year, in fairness to men.
    D. In 2010 labour stated they would raise the pension age to 66 but not before 2024. Again in 2010 Women’s state pension age would now be raised more quickly to reach 65 in 2018 which breached the coalition agreement promise of ‘no sooner than 2020’
    E. In February 2011 women's state pension would rise to 65 by 2018 and men’s and women’s pension ages would rise to 66 by April 2020.
    The above points are the here and now, this is where women stand at this point in time, while men only have 1 year EXTRA to work and in fairness to men, equalisation, 500,000 women will have to wait longer than a year, 300,000 the rest of us 50’s women have an EXTRA 6 to wait for our pensions despite the facts pointed out in the issues above.
    So looking at the facts alone it is clear discrimination of women vs men, in fairness to men the law was changed in 1940, again the law changed in fairness to men in 1995, nowhere do I see any fairness to women, all I see is discrimination, women earning a pittance before the equalisation of wages, and before the introduction of the minimum wage working and contributions towards their pensions, but pension denied at the age they began paying for in the 1960’s. 45 years of contributions, these women still paying for their right to retire at 60 in their own right paying the ‘standard rate’ NI instead of the married women’s rate, they have paid over the top, they have paid under false pretences to retire at 60, if women are not going to get their pensions at the age agreed when they began paying then the government has no right to collect any further contributions.
    It is the responsibility of the government to ensure that everyone understands the system, it is not the young paying for our pensions and it would be wrong for the government to imply this, it is us, we have paid in and we want out entitlement, this is not a benefit this is something we have paid into all our working lives under the assumption that the government would honour its side of the agreement as we have done, as our employers have done.
    Government have a duty of care to its people, women are suffering at the hands of governments policy.
    We Paid In, You Pay Out.
    It is also wrong to say the money isn’t there we all know that the NI pension fund should have been ring-fenced, and that the government have had their fingers in the pot as there is only £30bn left, but this is enough to begin paying what is due to us 50’s women.
    To talk about ‘helping us’ we don’t want ‘help’ we want what is rightfully ours, to talk about deals, maybe ‘lower rate, life time pension to retire early’ Retire Early, we don’t want to retire early we want to retire at the age agreed when we began paying into the system 45 years ago, ‘lower life time’ rate more discrimination, we have been discriminated against all our working lives, to have to draw a lower rate of pension than our menfolk is utterly wrong when we’ve all paid in the same percentages.
    It is cheaper to pay a woman her pension at the agreed date she began paying her dues, than it is to fund a young unemployed family, release these jobs for the youngsters, allow us women to retire at the age we agreed when we began our journey in our working life of contributions, look after the women who never stood a chance of accumulating the necessary years of contributions as their caring responsibilities didn’t allow for working to claim these credits, the mum’s who had children, they were allowed 16 years of home responsibilities credits but this has now changed to just 12 years, those who are looking after disabled children or elderly parents, of those who were housewives looking after their husbands and not working, relying on their husbands NI who have become widowed. Women have planned for their retirement to look after their elderly parents or their grandchildren or volunteer in the charity shop, this government has stripped the country of its army of grey volunteers in its greed, costing the taxpayer thousands in caring, in childminding, it’s time for change time, for respect for the 50’s women, some of us 60 something ladies have been found wanting, some on workfare working for jobseekers allowance, lost their dignity, lost their will to live as their old bodies are cracking around them and they can’t cope with the hard graft day in, day out, some go cap in hand to the jobcentre for benefits, and some go to foodbanks, some have sold their homes, this is degrading when they have done everything required of them all their working lives, this is a serious matter and needs to be addressed now, not in a months’ time, it needs urgent attention, we didn’t choose to be born women and I thought discrimination against women had been stamped out, this government has brought it back on the biggest platform ever, this is an issue which affects every man, woman, child, grandchild, boy, girl, mum, dad, sister, brother, those in need of voluntary services, it’s time to go back to the drawing board, time to wake up and understand we will not give up, time to pay up.
    As Ros Altmann says we were not given notice or change and have had no time to make changes to our retirement plans. Men are now retiring earlier than their womenfolk, the system has gone full circle in 'fairness to men' without a thought to the womenfolk, some men are having to work on longer as the 'expected' wife's pension is denied and the joint income including the man's pension isn't enough to cover household bills.
    On a personal note, I was going to retire next year at 60 because I paid the ‘standard rate’ of NI and could retire at 60 in my own right rather than paying the lower ‘married womens’ rate and wait until my husband reached retirement age, my retirement age would then have been 63 as my first husband was 3 years my senior, paying the ‘standard rate’ all these years has made no difference to my retirement age whatsoever I find I have to work until I’m 66 no matter what. But my present situation is slightly different, I was hoping to receive my pension at 60, not long to wait, my 59th birthday this week, that way my husband who suffered a ruptured Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm a few years ago is finding it difficult keeping up with his full time work, he tires easily, the plan was to cut his hours to suit his needs when I retire next year, with the sudden changes in pension ages he will have to continue to work full time until he reaches 66 or if this fatigue worsens he will have to think about claiming benefits.
    So all those years I paid into a system believing I would retire at 60 and now at 59 I find I am not, and still this government is taking my NI contributions at the ‘standard rate’ I wouldn’t even have been better had I paid the ‘married women’s rate’ allowing me to retire at 63, the goalposts have changed beyond reach. All those years paying into a system which would look after me and mine in my retirement, except governments have reneged on the deal we sparked up when us 50’s women began our journey into work 40 odd years ago, the government owes us, they are in breach of contract.
    Women of the 50’s are strong we will continue our fight until we get what is ours by right
    We Paid In, You Pay Out.
    Trudy from Somerset"

... and you accuse jamesd's posts of being over-long and tedious!
    Hypocrite!
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Says it all. ��
    We Paid In, You Pay Out.
    We Paid In, You Pay Out.
    Trudy from Somerset"

What a load of baloney - makes me ashamed to be a woman and sums up my reasons for being anti Waspi.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Extract from Trudy from Somerset's rambings:
    Trudy - you're missing the word 'some' from the above.
    Some women of the 50’s didn’t have the opportunities men had and some didn’t enjoy the life style of women folk of today, some (they) didn’t even have equal pay, still don’t, they had no choice but to pay their contributions by law at the same rate as men.
    8. Up until the 1970’s married women were given the optionof paying the lower ‘married woman’ rate of NI, sometimes referred to as the 2p rate, this dis-empowered women as they would not be entitled to certain benefits and their pension age would be based on when their husband reached retirement.
    Exactly.
    They were given the option.
    Any dis-empowerment was of their choosing.

I was given the option.
    I chose to pay full NI.

The whole diatribe from Trudy is ill-thought out.
    Pure WASPI-ese.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 July 2016 at 10:18AM
    Options
    This piece by Trudy from Somerset contains a huge number of misunderstandings and untruths, such as "it is not the young paying for our pensions", "the government has no right to collect any further contributions", "women of the 50's didn't have the opportunities that man had", "women of the 50's didn't get equal pay and still don't", "they have paid for their pensions", "we now learn that in 1995 the government decided that the retirement ages were unfair to men","government is legally required to inform those affected personally","very few, if anyone actually received any notification", "in 2010 labour stated they would raise the pension age to 66 ", "in February 2011 women's state pension would rise to 65 by 2018", "this [SP] is not a benefit","we have been discriminated against all our working lives", "have had no time to make changes to our retirement plans", "men are now retiring earlier than their womenfolk", "sudden changes in pension ages", "goverments have reneged on the deal we sparked up when us 50’s women began our journey into work 40 odd years ago" (what's sparking up a deal?), "government are in breach of contract" (does she know what breach of contract means?).

She displays complete and utter ignorance about the way the NI Fund works when she claims "the government have had their fingers in the pot as there is only £30bn left". I actually had to laugh about this statement as it is so hilariously untrue and demonstrates that she has done absolutely no research about the NI Fund.

What is wrong with women paying NI contributions at the same percentage rates as men? Do I detect she has a problem understanding what percentages are and how they work? Why does she think the increase in women's SP only applies to 1950s women? Why does she ignore the 2014 Pensions Act? Why does she confuse "the right to retire" with the date she is entitled to her state pension? Who ever "pretended" in the 1960s/1970s (or ever) that the then state pension age would still be the same in 60-odd years time? Why does she think "we agreed the age we would retire when we began our journey in our working life" (and who is "we")?

She also conveniently leaves out that NI contributions pay for the NHS - a service that she and her children no doubt have benefitted from since birth. No mention either of our excellent social benefits safety net for those who can't provide for themselves, and other wonderful opportunities we had, such as that we were the first generation that could control with virtual certainty whether and how often we got pregnant.

I find her blatant disregard to anyone born after 1959, and to those who would have to finance her "we paid in, you pay out" demand actually quite beyond belief.

As a 1950s woman, I am appalled about the way Trudy wants to portray her contemporaries. I doubt she has actually lived the miserable life she describes, although she may have and I feel sorry for her if she did. Regardless, huge numbers of us of us have made, and are still making, a lot more of our lives than she says was and is possible. The latter includes myself, scores of ex-colleagues, dozens of friends, several others on this forum, and the one born [STRIKE]1959[/STRIKE] 1956 who has just taken on the job to run our country, despite suffering from diabetes 1. I wish these WASPI women would get a grip and stop claiming that "women have planned for their retirement" when the only "plan" they seem to have had is to draw an unknown amount of state pension from their 60th birthday.
  • saver861
    saver861 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Extract from Trudy from Somerset's rambings:
    Trudy - you're missing the word 'some' from the above.
    Some women of the 50’s didn’t have the opportunities men had and some didn’t enjoy the life style of women folk of today, some (they) didn’t even have equal pay, still don’t, they had no choice but to pay their contributions by law at the same rate as men.

Majority is probably the 'word' you are looking for ...

Pollycat wrote: »
    Exactly.
    They were given the option.
    Any dis-empowerment was of their choosing.

I was given the option.
    I chose to pay full NI.

The whole diatribe from Trudy is ill-thought out.
    Pure WASPI-ese.

Married womans stamp was pretty much useless and should never have been an option ...

No more than it would be acceptable for Tescos' to sell Eggs at £1 per dozen or sell empty egg boxes at 70p ....

Big yourself up for making the right 'choice' so many did not ... why would that be I wonder ....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure