London Cab fare

Options
I've never used a black cab in London and I'm budgeting for a trip - roughly what fare should I expect for a cab from Euston to Lewisham?
(I know there are cheaper alternatives but we specifically want a cab on this occasion)

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 September 2017 at 11:47AM
    Options
    I just put your thread title into Google and a whole host of London taxi fare estimators appeared.

To answer your question: £44.55 approx.

Consider a Private Hire Car... Uber will do it for under half of that.
  • TheGardener
    Options
    :o Dohh - sorry, I didn't realise there were the estimators on line - probably hadn't had enough coffee when I posted
  • Gravedigger
    Options
    And in a black cab he can add each passenger and each bag or luggage, even shopping bags. As suggested I'd go with Uber, or get a quote before the journey as you may be held up going through Blackwall Tunnel.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    Uber will do it for under half of that.

Not hard to see why London black cabs are crapping themselves and fighting so hard to get Uber banned.

Personally haven't used a black cab in ages... it's not the money more the feeling your being ripped off.
  • jessmist
    Options
    When we were in London at the end of July we always used black cabs with me being disabled. The drivers were always very helpful and nothing was a problem.
    I downloaded (my taxi) app.
    You can book a taxi through it and the driver gave us a code for £10 off the first journey.
    Also they were doing half price fares from 8pm Friday to midnight Sunday.
    I would definitely go with them.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    jessmist wrote: »
    When we were in London at the end of July we always used black cabs with me being disabled. The drivers were always very helpful and nothing was a problem.
    I downloaded (my taxi) app.
    You can book a taxi through it and the driver gave us a code for £10 off the first journey.
    Also they were doing half price fares from 8pm Friday to midnight Sunday.
    I would definitely go with them.

I'm guessing you know somebody in the trade ;)

Last time I looked a London to Heathrow ride was £38 more expensive using a black cab than Uber..... so yes I'd flipping well expect the black cab driver to be polite and helpful.
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was quoted £80 from Heathrow to Kingston, a 20 minute journey for a black cab. I got the X26 bus instead.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The £44 quoted is a fair bit lower than I'd expect and would depend massively on the time of day. If you're looking at rush hour I'd suggest that there's little chance of getting it for that fare.

I realise that you specifically want to get a cab but if you can get the tube (Northern Line) south of the river you could get a cab from there and you'd save time and money if your circumstances would allow.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    I just put your thread title into Google and a whole host of London taxi fare estimators appeared.

To answer your question: £44.55 approx.

Consider a Private Hire Car... Uber will do it for under half of that.

Probably because they're not paying their employees NMW or holiday pay?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,652 Forumite
    Options
    Probably because they're not paying their employees NMW or holiday pay?
    For whatever reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport