To ill to complete course, help with refund?

Options
In June 2016 I signed up for a course with Distance Learning College & Training, I paid £1,218.50.

Shortly after I became quite ill & was unable to begin the course. After many GP appointments & visits to the hospital I have been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).

I contacted DLC via thier complaints procedure, to ask if a refund or even part refund of my fees would be possible due to the fact I haven't started the course & its doubtful I ever will. I knew this was a long shot as the T&Cs state no refunds after the cooling off period, but I felt they may look on this with a bit of compassion.

After waiting weeks for a response I corresponded with a Manager who stated he couldn't refund 'due to being signed up to a complex legal system similar to that of insurance, finance agreements and mortgages. After our cooling off period, you are unfortunately committed to our terms and conditions.'

I then requested copies of all the course documentation - I basically thought at this point that if I wasn't going to get a refund then I wanted what I had paid for (they usually send the next block of books out when you have completed the previous one.)

I was told on 5th January that 'We will also order your books and supply them one a month from now on until you have them all. Any issues or additional support we can provide then please request it directly to me via email. We will try to support you in every way that we can. If you find yourself doing any studies beyond 2018 and need anything from us then please do not hesitate to contact me directly.'

I have received no books & the email I sent to the manager today has bounced back!

I realise I have no legal position to claim a refund due to the T&Cs but surely I'm entitled to the course documentation I have paid for? I'm struggling to find the name of a MD to address my concerns to.

Any idea where I go from here? Should I go through their complaints procedure again or would I get more success in the small claims court?

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport